HS2 Smell Shortly After Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitchen

Reaction score
Hello Group,

I started a WA Chard last week that had already started fermenting (wildly I think) by the time I picked up the juice. I quickly pitched the and after 6 days racked the juice into one six gallon carboy and two one gallon jugs. Yesterday, I moved the Chard into a 8 gallon barrel, starting with the large carboy. The Chard in the carboy smelled fine, but the jugs had a strong hydrogen sulfide smell.

I had to use the jugs to top off the barrel and poured them in using a funnel to perhaps release the HS2. Should I be worried about this? Any advice?

I did through in 8 Camden tablets out of concern, but I am now 2nd guessing whether or not I should have done this.

If you only smelled it in the jugs then I would just air them out- transferring into another jug then back with funnels before next topping. Should blow it off.
Can always fill a glass and stir with a copper pipe to confirm its is h2s by noting if the copper stirring helped it or not.

Even though you topped with it already I don’t think it’s gonna be an issue. Was just a very small amount. And the 8 Camden tabs will certainly not hurt. Needs to be sulphite regardless, unless u planned on an mlf in your chard. If so just may have to wait a little bit- but still doable. The next time you pop the bung to top or test take notice of the initial smell. If it’s present in the barrel then get to racking. The earlier h2s is attacked the better—needing only o2 to remove.

Otherwise the product reduless can be utilized to remove it safely. Old school copper mesh/pipe methods work but can add unknown amounts of copper and is not recommended nowadays bc poison n stuff.

****edit. Disregard a lot of that. I misread “topping” as using for topping up. But you added both jugs to fil the barrel. So now 25% of the barrel had noticeable h2s. Still not overly concerning though. Plus that funnel pour likely blew some off. Just keep your eye on it. The So2 addition won’t hurt. But won’t remove either. I’d probably be inclined to give it a rack out and back in as preventative maintenance if I noticed it at all. Still probably loaded with co2 so no concern with negative o2 effects right now.

Last edited:
Still has a touch of the stinky smell to it. I am going to rack just 6 gallons into a carboy and then right back into the barrel.
I figured there would be other people chiming in too tbh. I offered my thoughts about it, but I’m no expert! I hate to give advice and prefer to just share info I’ve learned.

I do know for a 100% fact that the first step should be splash racking and introducing o2 to try and blow it off. And if it improves it but still present then even a second splash rack to get the rest.
I’ve never had to use it personally, but if o2 doesn’t get it done that’s when to start thinking about other options. Copper products would make quick work of it. But also— copper is poison so can’t just freely rack through copper mesh-or copper pipe- since you have no idea how much the wine is leeching onto. It will work though and many old school home winemakers still do it— somewhat controversial around here though. Many OG’s argue the amount leeched into the wine is so minimal it’s irrelevant. Others disagree. I have no firm stance.

but this is why using products with a known copper content is recommended- something you can control. Reduless or copper sulfate. Also, Kuzpit just popped up in my search just now. I have reduless on hand but have yet to get h2s that a little o2 couldn’t handle.

Latest posts

Back