Howdy from WI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortneyD

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm Cortney and I've been wine making for just shy of a year now in northern Wiscons. I started wine making as a way to use up the accumulating fruit in the freezer- lots of black raspberries, cultivated raspberries, rhubarb, blackberries and serviceberries. I'm big into research/learning before I do anything and have been using recipes primarily from Terry Garey's book and the purple Winemaker's Recipe Handbook on the advice from our local supplies guy (who is a very helpful mentor!). I've already made and bottled a number of varieties and have more in the works now. I'm excited to learn more and get to know y'all.
Thanks!
Cortney

Hi Everyone! I'm Cortney and I've been wine making for just shy of a year now in northern Wiscons. I started wine making as a way to use up the accumulating fruit in the freezer- lots of black raspberries, cultivated raspberries, rhubarb, blackberries and serviceberries. I'm big into research/learning before I do anything and have been using recipes primarily from Terry Garey's book and the purple Winemaker's Recipe Handbook on the advice from our local supplies guy (who is a very helpful mentor!). I've already made and bottled a number of varieties and have more in the works now. I'm excited to learn more and get to know y'all.
Thanks!
Cortney
Hi Cortney! Welcome to WMT!

I have that book too, my wife bought it for me a few years ago. From what I remember, she may have been a little high on the sugar to fruit ratio, so always remember you'll make a better wine the more fruit you have and the less added sugar you have.

I know sometimes you have to add some sugar to get it up above 10% ABV, which helps keep nasties from growing in your finished wine. But if I don't have enough fruit for a 5 or 6 gallon batch I back it off for a 3 gallon batch to keep the sugar additions to a minimum.

Enjoy your research, this is a great place to learn more about wine making!

Welcome to WMT, I'm about 3.5 hours south of you in jefferson county. There is lots of great info on this site and plenty of willing winemakers to help answer questions. 🍷

Welcome !! There is a great wine making club near you in Marshfield WI. PM me for details - if interested

Welcome @CortneyD
FYI; There are several wine making clubs in Wisconsin which do things as group juice bucket/ fresh grape buys or having speakers as the U of Minnesota winery manager or putting on the state fair wine contest.
That is great to know! I'll get searching! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back