Howdy, folks!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Jim

Junior
Reaction score
Texas Jim here. Retired from over 30 years in heavy construction and now just living out my years in south Texas. Married to the most wonderful woman ever to set foot on this planet. A little bass fishin', a LOT of 'coon huntin', a little wood workin' and now I'd like to try my hand at a little wine makin'.
I've never tried to make wine so I'll spend the next coupla' weeks readin' and start askin' questions after that. Thanks for the welcome and I hope I don't become a burden.

TX-J

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!!!

I suggest you browse the Beginner's forum, reading the threads that sound interesting. You'll pick up a lot of information and background.

Ask questions before you start. It's easier to point you to the better path than to fix problems in production. WMT is beginner friendly and you'll find dozens of experienced winemaker willing to help out.

You may want to start out with a kit, as good ones walk you through the process and produce a good result. Finer Wine Kits, sold through Label Peelers, is on the last day of a BOGO sale as they clean out the warehouse in preparation for the 2022 kits. Last I knew all that is left is the Frutta kits (Kiwi, Strawberry, Blackberry) and one white (Moscato).

Well, Sir... I have a sweet tooth and I prefer something a little on the stout side. Port comes to mind. That don't mean I wanna try makin' it, I know better than that. It just describes my taste.

@Texas Jim, you'll find folks that make EVERY kind of wine on this forum. Port is a more advanced topic when making from scratch, but several vendors make port-style kits -- I have a Chocolate/Raspberry port in bulk aging, and Coffee port and Black Forest port (chocolate/cherry) in the racks. My family and I are planning to make 2 gallons of barrel aged reds into port this fall.

If you can imagine fermenting it, someone has already done it. :r

I was just using that as an example of my tastes. Something sweet-ish with a bit more octane than the normal table wine.

I was just using that as an example of my tastes. Something sweet-ish with a bit more octane than the normal table wine.
You've come to the right place -- low octane, high octane, dry, sweet, grape, fruit, and other -- it's all been done. You are in the driver's seat and can make wine to fit your tastes.

Search for posts by @hounddawg he is right down your alley and a real character also.

And welcome to our little corner of the internet. Most folks around here are very helpful and friendly.

Well, Sir... I have a sweet tooth and I prefer something a little on the stout side. Port comes to mind. That don't mean I wanna try makin' it, I know better than that. It just describes my taste.
Port is actually quite easy to make. Being in Texas, you can buy Everclear 190. That’s the fortifying spirit to use to take wine up to 20% alcohol. Google Pearson Square (spreadsheet) to calculate how much to add to your wine. Add sweeteners, flavorings, etc. and your done. In my experience it doesn’t take as long to clear/age before bottling.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

south Texas? Humm, ,,, I remember growing satsumas in the back yard which would ferment pretty well and visiting ElPaso which is cactus pear country. That is a lot of choice in type of wine.

Port is actually quite easy to make. Being in Texas, you can buy Everclear 190. That’s the fortifying spirit to use to take wine up to 20% alcohol. Google Pearson Square (spreadsheet) to calculate how much to add to your wine. Add sweeteners, flavorings, etc. and your done. In my experience it doesn’t take as long to clear/age before bottling.
Disregarding the ABV, Port just has a very particular flavor that I really enjoy. I like it very cold.

I have two liters of Everclear on hand now. I use it to raise the proof of my bourbon from 80P to 100P. The higher P brings out the flavor. Enjoying one as I write this.

Having spent five years under the tutalage of a grand master of another craft, I know how to drive the ABV up to 20% without fortification. Very familiar with the equations required to raise ABV.

I am compelled to say this seems to be a very friendly bunch. I very much appreciate that. I'm 69, not 19 and I so much enjoy conversations with mature adults.
I thank each and every one of you for your responses and kindness. I'm startin' to feel like I can take off my boots and hat in here.

There's quite a few folks experienced with step-feeding a ferment. As Craig mentioned, @hounddawg runs his wines up to 18% ABV. In the Kit Wines forum, check the Finer Wine Kits thread for information on creating an overnight yeast starter -- the thread is long (and growing), but there's a lot of good information in there.

You'll find this forum is not normal for the net -- we act like adults and treat each other well. :)

Welcome to Wine Making Talk

south Texas? Humm, ,,, I remember growing satsumas in the back yard which would ferment pretty well and visiting ElPaso which is cactus pear country. That is a lot of choice in type of wine.
I had to look up the cactus pear. Down here, we call 'em prickly pear. I've got two big sets in molasses tubs, one on either side of the boardwalk approaching my front porch.

There's quite a few folks experienced with step-feeding a ferment. As Craig mentioned, @hounddawg runs his wines up to 18% ABV. In the Kit Wines forum, check the Finer Wine Kits thread for information on creating an overnight yeast starter -- the thread is long (and growing), but there's a lot of good information in there.

You'll find this forum is not normal for the net -- we act like adults and treat each other well. :)
18%, huh? A man after my heart! I'd love to sit down to a table with him, pull the top off a cold one and just let it go where it goes.

Latest posts

Back