Howdy Folks!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papawdude

Reaction score
Finally got some time to hop on here and say "Hi" :)

I've been working crazy hours since the holidays so free time is typically spent chilling with the grandkids or sleeping.

It's kind neat how I stumbled on to this site. Seems like every time I searched for an answer to a question I had on wine making, this site kept popping up in the results. And it was pure chance that when i downloaded an app for wine making, it ALSO was for this site. So I was like, well dang! Sign me up. Obviously this is where the stars are pointing me to go. So with that said, WHAT UP!!???!! :D

Some history... A few years ago I got a wild hair in my rear and wanted to make some wine. No idea where the spark came from but I backhandedly asked my sis for a wine making kit that year for Christmas. After that, I had put it out of my mind and proceeded with life. To my surprise, that year, BAM! My first kit. She also hooked me up with kit for some strawberry wine. I sat on the kit for a few months before getting the courage to start it. I used YouTube to find vids until I found someone with basically the exact same set up I had and then mimicked them step for step. Now, let me throw in here that I'm not a huge wine drinker. Heck I can't remember the last time I had some, but I do enjoy an occasional beer and my all time fav drink is a LI Tea. That being said, when I DID partake in wine, I found my favorite was Mondavi Merlot. So, when I finally finished my first kit I wasn't a real big fan of my own product. Not to worry though, it seems that everyone I gave a bottle to LOVED it. Which made me happy to say the least. Many of them drink wine daily so it was a huge compliment for me. Not long after bottling that first batch I went ahead and purchased my next kit which is what I am currently working on now. It's a Vintners Reserve Merlot kit. I'm thinking (hoping) I like this one much more. The one thing that I didn't like about that first kit was that it seemed very watered down to me. While in the carboy I could see through it. This kit is very....think? (for lack of a better word). Basically it does not appear to be as watered down and with that, I'm hoping for a fuller flavor.

I was tickled a little be ago while lurking through the different forum topics to find one on Skeeter Pee. I recently saw a video on YouTube about this and have since purchased all the ingredients to make a 6 gallon batch. I'm SOOO excited and can't hardly wait to get started.

I'll end my intro with a question if'n that don't come across as rude. Sometimes I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to my online social skills. :p A while back I purchased a small purple book, "Winemakers Recipe handbook". In it is approx 100 recipes for making 1 gallon of wine. My question...Currently I have a 6 gallon fermenter and a 6 gallon carboy. Will these work for making 1 gallon batches of wine or do i need to find smaller vessels? Would using the 1 gallon water bottles (basically plastic milk jugs) I have work properly for the whole process?

Also, has anyone ever tried bacon flavored wine?

Cheers!!
~Papawdude

Aloha Papawdude, and welcome, from one newbie to the next! I discovered this forum just as my first wine went into the primary bucket. Wish I'd found it earlier as folks here have bee sooo very helpful and welcoming!
My understanding is that your product should come close to the top of your carboy, although earlier today I was told to leave a few inches for the first racking in the carboy as there may still be a bit of fermentation and to allow that space for the co2 and the c02 will create a protective layer from oxygen. However after that racking I was told to top it off nearer the top to prevent oxygen exposure.
That being said I have figured out that I can use my big 6g fermenter as a primary for as little as 1 g but for a carboy I need smaller 1 g ones. I went out and bought wine in 1 g glass jugs and told my family to drink up as I need 3 of them empty in a few days time. It was cheaper than ordering one for $10.50 + shipping!
I'm having a blast, hope you are too!

when i downloaded an app for wine making, it ALSO was for this site.
~Papawdude

OOO, funny you should mention this. I was looking for the app to this forum today. What's it called, and do you know if it's available on Android??

Mark

Hi Papawdude,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. To answer your question, no the 6 gallon carboy is not suited to make one gallon batchs nor are the plastic milk jugs. You will be letting too much air into your wine with both of these vessels. The wine should fill the carboy and also as far as the plastic jugs go, I would be afraid of the plastic leaching into the wine plus again.

Papawdude,

Great intro, Welcome aboard!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are a lot of real knowledgeable wine makers here.

You will find that various kit manufacturers will make better kits than others, and that there are different levels of kits as well, the premium kits being more expensive, but produce a much better product.

I agree with Julie, get the carboy that fits your need, dont leave much, if any head space, this will only result in problems.
I'd start with 3, 5 or 6 gallon batches, you will be disappointed if you make a great batch of wine and you only have a gallon!

If I can make any suggestions, they would be:

• You only get out of it, what you put into it.....the best products will usually produce the best wine.
  • Write or log down everything that you do, if a batch turns out great, you will want to be able to replicate it!
  • Get a hydrometer, it will be your best friend!
  • Patience, Patience, Patience...... while you wait for your wine to age, make a fruit wine, Skeeter pee or one of Danger Dave's amazing recipes, these are a crowd pleaser and are usually ready within a few weeks!
  • Ask a ton of questions!
  • Have fun and have patience!
  • Did I mention have patience?

Mkjennison, the android link for the winemakingtalk app is available here

Sweet. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll be putting them to use shortly. I never thought about one gallon not being enough. I guess I just assumed I wouldn't like what I'd made. :p

Papawdude.
I have used a plastic, one gallon water jug in a pinch. I made 12 gallons of wine from fresh grapes last fall and after filling two 6 gallon carboys, I still had over one gallon of juice left. Scrambling around, I filled up the plastic jug. Luckily, I had a drilled rubber stopper that fit and I put an air lock on it and set it aside while messing with the other 12 gallons. I later bought a case of 4 one gallon jugs and began using them instead of the plastic. Surprisingly, and I do not know why, but the wine that was in the one gallon jug turned out better than the other 12. The taste, the color were way better than the carboy wine and I don't know why. It all came from the same batch. It had a beautiful deep red/purple color. Would I want to depend on a plastic jug, no, I'd feel much better using glass, but it sure worked in a pinch.
Pumpkinman is right on; I recently made one gallon of strawberry and it was not worth the trouble. The mess and the work involved, I would have been better off with at least 5 gallons. Then as he said, you end up with maybe five bottles from the one gallon jug. Not enough to give to family, friends and for you to enjoy.

Last edited:
Ditto on the one gal batch I make those when its some thing im not to sure im going to like or a mad science experiment

Latest posts

Back