Howdy Eh? From Eastern Ontario

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DageonYar

Total NeW-B
Reaction score
Figured I might as well post up an intro thread since I've been posting in the newb forum as well :)

I'm 35yrs old, and live in a small town just south of the Nation's capital (Ottawa). I work in hi-tech (Nortel eek). I enjoy fast cars, computers, and wine and wifey ;) lol

I'm an extremely green wine brewer that has 1 wine kit (in-store brew) under his belt lol. Recently picked up a whole slew of equipment and am now looking at brewing at home. (kits to start) Also sifting through miles of reading material and posting up questions to the beginner forum. I tend to drink more red wines, but we'll see how some of the whites turn out. Wifey prefers the sugary fruity type of wines, so I'll be looking at some of those as well.

Here's the list of equipment I picked up (120$ CAD for the lot woot)
2 x 6gal carboys
2 x 6.5gal plastic pails/lids
5 airlocks (3 piece type) with bungs
hydrometer, thermometer, testing tube
wine thief
bottle filling rod
hoses
mini-jet filter with 12 #2 pads
floor corker & ~100 corks & shrink wrap topper
bottle sterilizer pump thingy that goes in the sink
spoon, bottle brush
Chlorinated TSP 1kg, Acid Blend 1kg

Hope to be able to share in my experiences, and draw from all the knowledgeable people here. Looking forward to some great tasting wines! :)

Welcome aboard. That was a great price for all that if it had a Mini Jet in there. One word of advice, what the fermentations in those size buckets. You will have a real chance of foam overs. That size bucket is normally used to ferment a 5 US gallon batch (normally beer) and wine kits are 6 US gallon. All the buckets I get are 7.9 US gallon.

hello and welcome to the forum,

Which was your first kit?

Allie

Welcome! :b
What was the kit you made?
Better yet WHAT will be the next one or 2 since you have equipment now.

First kit was an Australian Shiraz. Not sure the brand. The winery guy suggested it for me. I like a nice dry wine, so I'll be poking around to see which I should go with next. Wifey likes a fruity sweet wine, so I'll probably be doing a dessert style wine first lol

Latest posts

Back