How to start a siphon safely?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyMetal

Junior
Reaction score
I need to rack my wines, and I always hate starting the siphon. I have been rinsing with mouthwash, and then using a 4" piece of rigid tube inserted into the flexible tube. I then pull onto the rigid tube and when the wine is racing down I unplug the rigid tube from the flexible tube and then put it into the bottom of the carboy. YES, I know they make a siphon tube for $20!, but I just know one of you has come up with an ingenious plan for starting the siphon that I can make for a couple of bucks, and that doesn't entail putting a mouth anywhere near the wine! After all isn't wine making a good part scientific apparatus?

siphon tube for $20?

Do you mean a Fermtech Auto-Siphon? I wouldn`t make wine without one. I own all three sizes (although I have only used the gallon sized one 2 or 3 times).

I also know how to start a siphon with a siphon rod and hose without using my mouth, but would much rather use an Auto-Siphon.

Steve

Fermtech Auto-Siphon is the one I am talking about. I want to rack my wines in the next couple of days, and I wont get one in the mail quick enough. This is why I am trying to come up with an alternative, and I like the idea of making something myself. That's kind of the whole reason behind making your own wine in the first place, right? I am not opposed by any means to tools to make life easier, but part of the fun is figuring out how to do it alone.

I like the idea of making something myself. That's kind of the whole reason behind making your own wine in the first place, right?
Gonna start making glass carboys? Believe me there is interest in a true 23 litre glass carboy. I'd like a little larger mouth, if possible. Maybe take a #8 bung.

I've enjoyed making wine since October 1999. No interest in inventing tools that already exist in the marketplace.

Steve

I just make sure my hands are clean, surround the end of the siphon with my thumb and index finger, then create enough suction to get things moving. I have rinsed my mouth with vodka. Probably not necessary but fun.
Mark

The bacteria in your mouth is not what can harm your wine, short of hoof in mouth disease. Give a good suck and insert into bottle. I have a clamp on my hose to avoid spilling any wine when I bottle. My wife would kill me.

You can fill your hose with water, hold a finger over the end for the wine to come out of and that will start it. Either you'll get a little water in your wine, or have a little container handy to catch the water then move fast to the carboy. I did it once and it worked great.

Try snaking the syphon hose into the carboy until only 4 inches stick out. Cover the hole with your clean thumb and slowly pull out the hose. While still covering the hole, stick the end into your empy container. Works every time!

I have not done it, but I have heard that blowing into one of the ports on a double holed bung will start the syphon. :b

Try snaking the syphon hose into the carboy until only 4 inches stick out. Cover the hole with your clean thumb and slowly pull out the hose. While still covering the hole, stick the end into your empy container. Works every time!

This is the same concept of what I was trying to say but much easier. Jeez, I hate to say it but thanks for that tidbit... :slp

What's the matter getting a little wine in your mouth while syphoning?
Sure beats the taste of diesel or gasoline and you can swallow it.

Im a firm believer in the autosiphon and an even firmer believer in the electric vacuum pump!

Im a firm believer in the autosiphon and an even firmer believer in the electric vacuum pump!

Here! Here!

I don't know how I ever got along without vacuum in the winery!

(a compliment from a benny, I bet you thought is was not possible)[/QUOTE]

What is a benny? :b

(a compliment from a benny, I bet you thought is was not possible)

What is a benny? :b[/QUOTE]

You live in Belmar, and do not know what a benny is?

{a non-resident tourist to the Jesey Shore. Most noted by their wearing of black socks on the beach, do not know how to swim, and the habit of driving under 35 mph on the Parkway.

johnT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have edited and deleted posts, if you two do not stop NOW I will ban you. If you are having an issue with each other, take to a pm

Latest posts

Back