How to save a wine with too much Potasium Metabisulfate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Main man

Reaction score
I inadvertently added too much (4x) Potasium Metabilsulfate to my must today after crushing. What can I do to save it?

Lots and lots of splash racking. Get as much air as you can into the must. If you have added the yeast give it 24hours and look for signs of fermentation. If none, repeat the process. You may need to add more yeast.

I just crushed & destemmed it today and have not added the yeast yet. Are you saying I should splash it at this stage? My original plan was to cold soak for a few days.

I did something very similar in 2017, splash racked a lot and because my batch was only 6 gallons I bought a red wine kit and blended them together. It turned out fine. A little tart as it didn’t go thru MLF. Good luck.

Actually my joke above notwithstanding, you CAN get rid of SO2 in your must by adding the correct amount of hydrogen peroxide. You have to be very careful doing it, and it may be more trouble than it's worth, but it's an alternative to just splash racking. More info here: https://www.awri.com.au/wp-content/uploads/TN06.pdf

You might want to splash rack and give your wine some time, and if the free SO2 is still high, consider adding some H2O2.

Latest posts

Back