How to remove tartrates from under thermal well

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36973

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
I often find myself hosing clean a cold stabilization tank and seeing tartrates crusted underneath the protruding thermal well at the bottom of the tank thanks to reflection off the tank bottom.

I've reached down using a pic pipe with an elbow to try to scrub them off but it isn't very effective. The well is welded in, so removal is not an option.

Anyone have a better solution?

Normally tartrates are dissolved and removed easily with an alkaline solution, such as sodium carbonate or or one of the percarbonate cleaners. If it's a large tank, you can circulate with a pump from the bottom outlet and manually spray down the walls with a hand held nozzle from the top, a nozzle with an extension handle can also be used if needed for hard to reach places. Follow with an acidic solution rinse to ensure the alkaline material has been neutralized.

Ok thanks. I typically clean with a sodium hydroxide solution anyway. I'll see if that helps loosen it up a bit during the initial hose down.

Back