How to prepar new barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabillskid

Junior
Reaction score
I’m new to this. I️ have a 10 gallon barrel that came in no wrapping got it from Carolina barrels online. They guy said it is sterile inside I️ just have to drill a hole. Should I️ soak with a kmeta water solution to swell it? They said just use water. I️ just don’t want to ruin 10 g of wine. I️ have 10 g of amarone in two 5 g carboys that I️ play to age 3 months before putting it I️ to the oak. Thanks

I’m new to this. I️ have a 10 gallon barrel that came in no wrapping got it from Carolina barrels online. They guy said it is sterile inside I️ just have to drill a hole. Should I️ soak with a kmeta water solution to swell it? They said just use water. I️ just don’t want to ruin 10 g of wine. I️ have 10 g of amarone in two 5 g carboys that I️ play to age 3 months before putting it I️ to the oak. Thanks

Here is one option, most others are the same. I'm waiting for my 8 gallon from Carolina Barrels. What it your initial reaction to yours? Make sure you have something to top it off with. Depending on your humidity you will need to top up regularly and watch the sulfite levels. The barrels seem to knock it down pretty quickly
https://harfordvineyard.com/wine-barrel-care/

Here is one option, most others are the same. I'm waiting for my 8 gallon from Carolina Barrels. What it your initial reaction to yours? Make sure you have something to top it off with. Depending on your humidity you will need to top up regularly and watch the sulfite levels. The barrels seem to knock it down pretty quickly
https://harfordvineyard.com/wine-barrel-care/

Barrel looks great. They give you a stand and a spout if you wish to put that in. I️ think I’m just going to drill a hole. It’s just I’m not sure if I️ should swell it with just water or swell it with kmeta plus water. I️ guess it can’t hurt to use kmeta for the swell

My suggestion for barrel prep is as follows:

One week prior to filling with wine, stand the barrel on end, and fill the head with boiling water for one hour. Repeat for the other head.

Fill the barrel with boiling water, 2/5 of its volume, stand on one end for an hour, same for the other end. With the hot water still in it, and bung in place, roll it around to wet all staves for an hour.

Fill the barrel to capacity with cool water, adding 1/4 tsp KMS and 1/4 tsp citric acid per 5 gallons as you fill.

Let sit the balance of the week, making sure it’s holding water. At the end of the week, drain, rinse, and fill with wine.

My suggestion for barrel prep is as follows:

One week prior to filling with wine, stand the barrel on end, and fill the head with boiling water for one hour. Repeat for the other head.

Fill the barrel with boiling water, 2/5 of its volume, stand on one end for an hour, same for the other end. With the hot water still in it, and bung in place, roll it around to wet all staves for an hour.

Fill the barrel to capacity with cool water, adding 1/4 tsp KMS and 1/4 tsp citric acid per 5 gallons as you fill.

Let sit the balance of the week, making sure it’s holding water. At the end of the week, drain, rinse, and fill with wine.

I have used my 6 gallon Oak for a number of uses, maybe eight or so. Now I can keep the wine in for a year or so and it just oaks it a little but really smooths out the wine. Initially I let it dry out between uses and used sulfur sticks to keep it from getting microbs between uses, which is a pain.
Before its first use I submerged it in my wash tub in warm water and KMS. Water inside and out swelled the barrel stays in 24 hours. The problem with a new barrel is that a small barrel has a large surface area compared to the amount of wine, and will really influence it fast. You have to be ready to pump out and refill when new to avoid too much Oak influence.
I have a new 7 gallon French oak I have not used for that reason. I figure 3 weeks is all that is needed for the first wine. After that it will have to come out and another go in or let it dry out. Which I hate to do.

Latest posts

Back