How-To: Portugese Floor Corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hi! I recently bottled and corked my rose-hip wine, and thought I'd take a few pics while doing so.

2006-01-30_190547_1a.jpg

First, I made sure I degassed properly and took a last-minute pH reading:

2006-01-30_190626_1.jpg

Then I got my bottles ready: 1 case was already in the bin, one-step in there as well (mixed with 3 gallons of warm water):

2006-01-30_190702_3.jpg

And the other case waiting to go:

2006-01-30_190732_2.jpg

I also sanitized the racking tube etc, etc.

Please refer to the bottling how-to for more info: [url]http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1 202&PN=1[/url]

So, I bottled, and the bottles were ready to go.... Now, just a quick overview of the portugese floor corker I purchased from George:

2006-01-30_190902_4.jpg

There is some assembly required when getting your floor corker, but it's not a lot. Just the arrow pointing to the "assembly" part is all that you need. (Nut/bolt -- that's all.) The spring is to adjust to the height of the bottle you plan to cork, and the lever is what drives the cork "home."

2006-01-30_191102_4b.jpg

Here you see the iris: this compresses the cork into a micron size which makes it easy to insert. Here's the difference to the italian corker: This one (portugese) is made of plastic (correct me if I'm wrong), and the italian is made of (??) brass. I've heard different views on the stability of the plastic, but most are very happy with it.

2006-01-30_191258_4c.jpg

Here's a bottom view of the corker. The "lip" is shown (at least what I call it - please correct my terminology if it is wrong). This ensures that the bottle is in its correct place when bottling. Makes for "a sure thing" every time (almost -- read on!)!!!

2006-01-30_191439_4a.jpg

While I was taking pictures of the corker, I was soaking the corks. 2-5 minutes at most. I used a mix of FineVineWines corks as well as LD Carlson corks. (I wanted to use them up because I don't like the LD Carlson corks - read on!!!!).

Okay, let's get ready to cork!!!
smiley36.gif
I don't have a picture, but it's wise to organize your bottles by type (lots of same bottles) and by height. This way, you don't have to adjust the "adjustment knob" so much (read on!)....

2006-01-30_191630_5.jpg

Here you see me pushing the spring down, and placing the bottle. There is a groove-contraption (for lack of a better description) that makes sure the bottle is secure. Especially good for punted bottles, no matter how "punted." I made sure the neck/opening of the bottle laid firmly against the lip.

2006-01-30_191721_6.jpg

Drop the cork into the iris. (Note the cork I'm using: FVW!)

2006-01-30_191924_7.jpg

Everything in place.

2006-01-30_191956_8.jpg

Okay, this is a just a personal note: I need to rest my right foot on the "T-bar," as I call it, to prevent slipping of the corker. I also have felt-pads underneath the legs which might promote the slipping. This works just fine, though. I look like I'm gripping the corker with my life, but it's really not the case.

2006-01-30_192210_9.jpg

Half-way there!

2006-01-30_192234_10.jpg

Bring 'er 'ome!!!
smiley36.gif
(Slam dunk?)
smiley36.gif

2006-01-30_192321_11.jpg

Okay, here's the difference between FVW corks and LD Carlson ones. No offense to the LD ones, but just look at the difference. The LD ones are more ornary to cork. They need longer soaking, and somehow this one just was a B*^ch. I thought it was a funny, yet very informative, comparison. Lots of people say, "yeah right. 'FVW corks are wonderful' but are they really?" I say, a picture tells more than a thousand words. (This wasn't the only non-fvw cork that looked like that)

2006-01-30_192744_12.jpg

Now if you have a cork that doesn't "sit" correctly, you can adjust the depth.

2006-01-30_192820_13.jpg

By turning this "adjustment knob", you can adjust the depth pretty well. I suggest you drive the corks somewhat underneat the "lip" of the bottle, so if it (the cork) puffs back up, you are pretty flush.

2006-01-30_192939_14.jpg

As always, the un-fun stuff.... Wipe down your corker (and iris as well) with a soft cloth (old cotton t-shirt here) dunked in the sanitizing solution of your corks. Just do it.
smiley2.gif

The end.

Edited by: MedPretzel

Northern Winos said:
Why was the floor wet???

Hahaha, just guess!

1. Had a mishap with a bottle of wine.
2. Didn't think it would show up on the pictures.
3. Wanted to impress you guys.
smiley9.gif

Martina,

Great tutorial
smiley32.gif
. I have always stood my bottles up in a bucket and funneled in the sanitizer. Just never occured to me to get a big plastic container (which I have tons of) and lay them in. Pictures are truly worth more than a thousand words.

With this message board, I'm finding myself watching less and less TV
smiley2.gif
!

I have the Italian corker and there are features on yours I wish mine Had, particularly the lip that holds the bottle on place when you ram the cork home. I to agree with the quality of the corks. I had a bottle with my last batch it took 7 shots to get it corked good. I was using the LD Carlson corks. Course I guess I will have to use some more since my last bag of FVW corks Iordered is full of LD Carlson corks
smiley19.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
smiley1.gif
I'm glad this was helpful.

I would like to make an addendum about the corks: LD vs FVW....

Not only are the LDs harder to cork in general, they alsoshow the impression of the "cork pusher" more than the FVW ones do. What I mean is, is that the FVW corks "poof" out a little after corking, the LDs keep the impression for literally years to come. If you put shrink caps on them, then it's really not that big of a deal. I've stopped shrink-capping due to humidity issues in my basement, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

I would also like to comment on the felt pads and "slippage" issues:

The corker has provisions for rubber feet (which I read that you can buy at Wal-Mart or Home Depot or Lowe's). It's hard to see in the pictures that I have provided, and the pictures I took of the feet didn't turn out. I put felt padsunder the feet of the corker to prevent scratching of the floor, but it makes the corker slippery on the floor. Therefore I needed to put my foot on the t-bar. With the ornary corks, it was very difficult. Others have mentioned that they screwed the corker onto a wooden platform with a rubberized bottom. I imagine everything could work.

If you are new to the portugese corker, please keep these things in mind before corking on expensive italian/portugese ceramic tiles.
smiley2.gif
smiley1.gif

Martina, what are you using to put the nice little text and arrows on your pictures? I need to learn how to do that.

And BTW, your cutting into my Gig LOL, I was going to have the bottling part on mine when I came to that section and filtering. You all are beating me to the punch LOL

Thanks for the info!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Aw, Smurfe, there are many paths lead to Rome. Just because one person adds a How-To, doesn't mean someone else can't post the "same" how-to!!!
smiley2.gif
Plus, you have an italian corker.
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

Remember, it's important to see how other people do things, because you might do it differently/more efficiently/better/worse/by the book.

I should always put a disclaimer at the end of my topics: This is the way I do things -- not necessarily the right way!

Still I welcome and urge everyone to add their how-tos. It's the best way to learn and expand your knowledge.

I use an old Version of Coral Draw/PhotoPaint to label my images. (Version 8) It does just about everything I like it to, and since I've been using it for so long, I don't want to learn another program. I believe you could also use "Paint" that comes with Windows, but I'm not too familiar with that program.

smiley1.gif

Also, I wanted to add for anyone using a double-lever corker: Please post!!! :)

We'd love to see how you do it!

M.

Back