How to move 3 carboys into house and down into basement?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan molstad

Junior
Reaction score
I got 3 glass carboys filled with the first wine I have ever made.
But its starting to get cold at night where I live in northern North Dakota, and I need to bring the wine into the house and down into the basement.

The weight of the carboys is an issue.

Its just too hard on my back to lift a full carboy and carry it that far.

suggestions?

Attachments

• 241096967_1071316820070374_8531070933053500743_n.jpg
    241096967_1071316820070374_8531070933053500743_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
The first thought I had was to keep them full and use a dolly with some padding and straps to reduce the effects of bumping and jarring on the glass. The next thought was to split them up into more manageable sizes that you can better carry / move. How close are they to bottling? That could be an option as well.

When we moved to a new house four years back the large volumes were put into square five gallon camping plastic cubitainers with a solid lid. ,,, and four liter sizes were corked and carried on the floorboards.
Since you are at home you could get a hundred foot roll on poly tubing and pump or vacuum, ,,, or if there is a height difference just rack by gravity since you are going to the basement.

What might be easiest is to solid cork and have a younger neighbor carry with a promise of a few bottles. ,,,, I have busted a few glass carboys they need protection as industry style milk crates.

Last edited:
The next thought was to split them up into more manageable sizes that you can better carry / move. How close are they to bottling? That could be an option as well.

The grapes were crushed 3 weeks ago about...
I have racked them once.

I think I may do that split into smaller amounts

I have to go down stairs so I dont want to try to use a 2-wheel cart as it would be a bumpy right

I usually ferment on my 1st floor but age and bottle etc in my basement so have tried most of the options listed as but what is safest and easiest for me seems to be...is the splitting method.
I rack off primary into 2 5 gallon pails partially filled then move them to the carboy in its spot in the basement.
At this stage usually aeration is recommended so it's pretty easy and I dont need to wait for help.

For wine I'm lucky to do it all on the ground floor, it is just a question of inside (for warmer primary) or in the garage (bulk aging, just slightly cooler). For beer though I have to carry large (and hot) volumes from upstairs kitchen to downstairs for cooling and fermenting, that's a pain. I did finally just score bigger milk crates which accommodate the 6.5 gallon glass carboys, which are so much more managable and less breakable now. If I keep this up as I get even older I may have to boil the beer in the back yard and/or get a pump system (for now only siphon hoses).

How cold will it get in the current space? Cold stabilization over the winter months can be helpful.

In the event that it get's "Cold AF" where you're wine is currently stored - Wine freezes around 23*F depending on ABV so some reflectix, heating pad, and a packing blanket or two could keep it above freezing AND cold enough to allow good cold stabilization over the winter.. I'd consider other options than moving it. Moving full carboys always makes me very nervous.

Cheers!
-johann

Latest posts

Back