How to make an f-pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I was looking at the bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer thinking I would rather eat them then make a flavor pak for the batch of strawberry wine I have going right now. So like a good procrastinator I went grocery shopping instead. While on cereal isle I spotted it smuckers strawberry pancake syrup. Now it does have pectin in it but I can handle that. Bought 2 bottles for $5.. Got home and put in pan, added a little water and pectic enzyme. warmed up a little. and let it set. Will add to wine tomorrow. O baby I hope this turns out good. They also have blackberry

How to make a F-PAC
=
Flavor Pac

Add 20-30% of #’s of fruit what was used in the primary (if you used 30# in recipe then you will need 6-9# more for the f-pac) in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Tom

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
and
DELANCO VINEYARDS

Thanks Doug. The 1st (Word) post was edited to look at #6 post if you couldnt open.

How to make a F-PAC
=
Flavor Pac

Add 20-30% of #’s of fruit what was used in the primary (if you used 30# in recipe then you will need 6-9# more for the f-pac) in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Tom

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
and
DELANCO VINEYARDS

I asked this in another thread but i figured it belonged here as well:

pertaining to the "clearing agent" above what additive is to be used?

Also what would be a general guide for a racking schedule after adding F-PAC and how long should you wait before bottling?

Thanks!

I asked this in another thread but i figured it belonged here as well:

pertaining to the "clearing agent" above what additive is to be used?

Also what would be a general guide for a racking schedule after adding F-PAC and how long should you wait before bottling?

Thanks!
You 1st add f-pac before clearing.
After adding mix well. I wait 24 hours and add what you like. I use a variety of them it can be Isinglass, Sparkolloid or Super-Kleer (2-part). Wait at least 3-4 weeks so it can compact on the bottom (there will be alot of sediment in fruit wines). Then I rack every 3-4 weeks till clear. I also filter (polish) all my fruit wines.

Great and thank you for the information! Also i'm sry; i'll keep this question going in this thread from now on.

How long after you add the K-Meta/K-sorbate do you wait before adding the F-PAC?

Thats a great question.
Here is what I do.
Mix k-meta in some warm water and make sure all is dissolved, Add. MIX WELL do the same to Sorbate MIX WELL, add.
MIX both well with my degassing tool (wine should be degassed BEFORE adding above).
Reason is some got renewed fermentation because the chemicals were not either fully dissolved or not mixed well once added.
Wait 24 hours, add f-pac

Thank you; this will be a great help! especially sine my apricot is my first venture into wine making

and one more ?: How much K-sorbate\K-meta do you add per gallon?

Last edited:
Read the label (always go by the label as U may get different strengths).
for 6 gallons its 1/4tsp K-meta
1/2tsp per gal Sorbate

"...MIX both well with my degassing tool..."

Tom, can I ask what your degassing tool is?

Thank you,
Linda

Thanks Tom - looks like something my husband had in the garage. I think I'll probably want to get my own... ;)

Either one works great !

Get the metal shaft one. You will find the cheaper (plastic) one can break along the shaft.

Why does one need an f-pak? Why not just use the right about of fruit to start with and simply add sugar back in?

Sometime fermentation just burns off too much flavor and sometimes someone just follows a recipe on the internet and finds their wine very flavorless and even sometimes the flavor is hidden by too much abv. This is just a way to fix it.

Latest posts

Back