How to make an f-pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding more fruit will also help add body.
Take Strawberry, mostly water little flavor. So, adding a "flavor pac" will bring fruit forward flavor

Adding more fruit will also help add body.
Take Strawberry, mostly water little flavor. So, adding a "flavor pac" will bring fruit forward flavor

I like my Spiced Apple a little more fruit forward flavor as well, its almost like a spiced cider.

Lots of good info in this thread. Alot of questions I had have already been asked and good informative answers provided. Cool.... :b

Today I was looking at the bag of frozen strawberries in the freezer thinking I would rather eat them then make a flavor pak for the batch of strawberry wine I have going right now. So like a good procrastinator I went grocery shopping instead. While on cereal isle I spotted it smuckers strawberry pancake syrup. Now it does have pectin in it but I can handle that. Bought 2 bottles for $5.. Got home and put in pan, added a little water and pectic enzyme. warmed up a little. and let it set. Will add to wine tomorrow. O baby I hope this turns out good. They also have blackberry

How much syrup, water and pectin enzyme ???? How did it work out ???? Good. I only ask because I want to try making F-Pack with the blackberry syrup. Thanks. Flame

If you added Pectic to HOT water it died. Add PE to room temp. Add again and wait 48 hours. BTW add more as it will not hurt

Sugar to taste?

If I'm going to back sweeten at what point to I do that? I guess it would be before adding sulfates, but would that be before the f-pac?

My once seemingly disastrous wine that began about a month ago seems to be mellowing out a little. According to the recipe I should rack for the final time in about two weeks. I guess that will change after adding the f-pac as well.

You need to both sulfite and sorbate before you can sweetenor it will start fermenting again.

one of many ways to fix a wine thats gone wrong or to improve its flavor when it lost it.....tricks of the trade.......to add oak after fermentation,powder or chips////?????reinstate a concentrate ,or smooth the hot wine..........tricks of the craft.....hay tom.

By adding the f-pac wouldn't that sweeten the wine back up enough already? I know the instructions on f-pac is to cook down the fuit/juice and then wait a few weeks to back sweeten. I would think adding f-pac would be the only thing needed to get the sweetness. I've never done one and planning to do so.

Your flavor pack will add some sugar but not usually enough. This is a good reason to add the f pack after stabilizing and then sweeten later to taste.

Ditto!
Dan,
I taught you well

Yes you did. Funny story, yesterday when we had our Western Pa get together my wife was reading tags on Steve's carboys and read banana soup was added. Of course the next question was "what the hell is that"? Steve and Julie proceeded to explain simmering sliced banana's with skins on. No way did she believe them. I did it while she wasn't home and when I told her I did the same thing she thought I was in on their plot to BS her. LOL

How much additional volume of liquid will this add to my carboy? Or I guess the more appropriate question is how much water in relationship to the amount of strawberries should be added?

How much additional volume of liquid will this add to my carboy? Or I guess the more appropriate question is how much water in relationship to the amount of strawberries should be added?
Strawberry has 90% water. You will need to make alot. Once all mashed from simmering strain the pulp and toss. with whats left reduce 75% of the water till real thick, then add
I just did a blueberry f-pac tonight and did the same till I got thick syrup after straining

Wow! Thanks for the great info! Once strawberries are in season I'm going to give it a try to add different fruit flavors. :)

Thats a great question.
Here is what I do.
Mix k-meta in some warm water and make sure all is dissolved, Add. MIX WELL do the same to Sorbate MIX WELL, add.

:db:db

Thanks for all the great info on f-pacs. So far, I haven't added any but once I taste some of those wines that come out of the recommended aging process, I'm sure I'll understand which ones needed that f-pac the most!

So when making an F-pac, can it be made with the fruit left over from the primary fermentation? Or does it have to be new fruit?

There will be nothing left from the primary. So, YES you need fresh/frozen fruit for the f-pac.

Latest posts

Back