How to make an f-pac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f-pac for Scuppernog

I'd like to add an f-pac to 5 gallons of scuppernog and would like to check on the process. The pH of the wine is 3.3 with an SG of 1.000. The wine is currently very clear. I degassed the wine with my vacume pump. There was very little gas... slow release of small bubbles. I just added a shade under 1/4 tsp of k-meta followed by 1.25 tsp of k-sorbate. I plan to let the wine sit for two weeks before adding my f-pac.

Yesterday I was able to get out and pick another gallon of a mix of scuppernog and muscadine grapes. They were nice and ripe for sure. I have them in the freezer now. I would have picked another gallon, but was in a hurry. I expect to pick another gallon next week. It's my plan to crush these grapes and simmer them down. Strain out skins, seeds, ect, and continue to simmer to a syrup. I'll add this to my wine followed by additional pectin. I'll let this sit for a month or so. I expect I'll have to rack several times. In another month I figure I will be ready to add clearing agent.

I may add a bit of sugar, add one last 1/4 tsp of k-meta, then bottle.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

When making a Fpack how much pectic enzym should I use? I'm making one for 3gal of peach and one for 3gal of blackberry. Thanks!

I saw a jam fruit pack mentioned but can not find anything in search. Does anyone know how to use jam to make an fpak?

Why not use a good quality extract and sugar to back sweeten and flavor?

I read several different instructions to make but doesn't say how to store, most looked like they were making right before adding but I wanted to use leftover juice to make it ahead of time

Mary, I have had success in making the FPACs and freezing them until ready to use. Thaw them completely before adding to wine. If you are using leftover juice, I suggest hitting it with Potassium Metabisulfite before freezing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back