How to insulate a built-in cabinet for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jseagull

Junior
Reaction score
I live in an apartment in the SF Bay area with a built in wetbar. I have my wine in it and I want to insulate it so when I have the heater on it won't fluctuate the wine temp that much inside and it can stay at a steadier 60 degrees. Any suggestions how to go about this and what to purchase?

Attachments

• C8F29C8B-E046-492C-80F6-E50D34EF6EC1.jpeg
    C8F29C8B-E046-492C-80F6-E50D34EF6EC1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • EDA92CCC-3372-4440-B273-A167316BEB27.jpeg
    EDA92CCC-3372-4440-B273-A167316BEB27.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 645419D0-6534-491F-9EEE-1158A7C3F86E.jpeg
    645419D0-6534-491F-9EEE-1158A7C3F86E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
as Dawg said foam board is easy to work with, corners can be taped.

Consider having a temperature controller for the heat, Christmas brought an ink bird (rated at 220 volt) which would allow setting a narrow temperature band. At work I use controllers with a PID tuning program and solid state relays that can cycle on/off every second and can stay within 0.1 C. ,,, An undersized heater which runs 75% of the time will be more consistent (ex a flat heating pad) than a large space heater cycling on/off four times an hour.

If you want cooling mechanical refrigeration requires cycle time for the pump. A thermoelectric (ex twelve volt car beverage cooler/heater) will allow you to cycle quickly ,,,, and could have polarity reversed to act as a heater.

Good luck on the project, Omega engineering is my favorite place for build your own pilot plant parts and their how to section in the back of the catalogue has good info on how parts work.

I live in an apartment in the SF Bay area with a built in wetbar. I have my wine in it and I want to insulate it so when I have the heater on it won't fluctuate the wine temp that much inside and it can stay at a steadier 60 degrees. Any suggestions how to go about this and what to purchase?
If you haven't already done so put a thermometer inside and crank on the heat for a while to see how much the temp changes. You may be fine without doing anything as you have a lot of mass (wine bottles) in the cabinets. If it changes more than you feel acceptable, line it (except the back) with Rmax Thermasheath-3 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-6 Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulation Board from Home Depot or something similar. Seal the joints with mylar tape. You will also need some foam tape or something similar to seal the doors. I used this stuff along with a thermoelectric cooler to chill my wine cabinet but eventually gave up as it made lots of noise and just wouldn't cool well enough.

Latest posts

Back