How to install fruiting wire?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chingchongly

Junior
Reaction score
I have 1 backyard grapevine and I'm going to trellis it using VSP trellis (aka mid-wire cordon or MWC). I will be using T-posts as my end posts. And I will be using a turnbuckle to tighten/loosen the fruiting wire as season changes, wire becomes loose, etc. My question is how to do I attach the fruiting wire from post to post? Is there a neat/clever way to do it? Or do I just wrap it around the t-post at one end? I have attached a drawing to visualize what I'm saying. Anyway, this is the first time doing something like this. I'm just looking for ideas in general.

Attachments

• fruiting wire.png
    fruiting wire.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 22
Wow, this one went a while without a response. I’ve been caught up with my motorcycle hobby but wondering how this project came out. While I know I’m late to respond I would have just turnbuckled both sides. I like my projects neat in appearance also.

I have 1 backyard grapevine and I'm going to trellis it using VSP trellis (aka mid-wire cordon or MWC). I will be using T-posts as my end posts. And I will be using a turnbuckle to tighten/loosen the fruiting wire as season changes, wire becomes loose, etc. My question is how to do I attach the fruiting wire from post to post? Is there a neat/clever way to do it? Or do I just wrap it around the t-post at one end? I have attached a drawing to visualize what I'm saying. Anyway, this is the first time doing something like this. I'm just looking for ideas in general.
Use these Fence and Trellis Quick-End Wirevises - 8 to 16 gauge you can pull the wire thru and if you need to tighten later just pull again

If you only have one vine, I would simply use what you can get from your local hardware store, and not bother with special wine making trellis tools.

Wire and turnbuckles are fine. And, yes, it is fine to simply wrap the wire around the T-post. My only suggestion is to add a turn buckle to each wire up the trellis, as even the upper parts of the vine can become heavy and the wire may need some tightening over time. Simply keep them snug, not "twangy" tight. Spay a little WD-40 on the buckle from time to time to keep them from rusting solid.

In other words, for only one grape vine, keep it simple (KIS) applies best. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back