how to get started?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmyccowboy

Reaction score
having never made wine before and having a yard full of grapes how do i get started? if i buy the master vintner kit will that be enough... what else will i need? i have lots of fresh grapes! i was making jelly but i still have plenty left from last year!

Last edited:
Maybe make a kit wine first, you'll need some equipment for a kit wine but you will need much more equipment (and more expensive equipment) to make it from grapes. I've only made kit wines except for one batch of banana wine and in every kit I've purchased are written instructions that tell you what equipment you will need. There will more than likely be more people commenting, wait to hear from others.

I'm no authority but since making wines from grapes is something I want to do at some point I've read up on it a little bit. From my limited understanding it is usually not as simple as crushing grapes and making wine. To be a good wine the grapes/must must have at least a certain sugar content. Also, the total acidity and ph need to be checked and adjusted if needed and I think these usually do have to be adjusted but not sure. With that many grapes I would think you'd need a crusher/destemer to turn it into grape must unless you want to destem them by hand and crush them by foot!
Wish I could be of more help but that is about the limit of my knowledge in this type of wine making.

I have made a couple of kit wines, and quite a few country wines (not grapes, and sometimes 100% bottled juice). On the off chance I'll ask, do you have access to a freezer big enough to hold it, while you gain some knowledge of wine-making? I agree with Jim, super problem, wish you well.

I have made a couple of kit wines, and quite a few country wines (not grapes, and sometimes 100% bottled juice). On the off chance I'll ask, do you have access to a freezer big enough to hold it, while you gain some knowledge of wine-making? I agree with Jim, super problem, wish you well.
thanks

i have a big freezer but it is full of garden vegetables and beef.

* have you hunted for someone local who makes wine? cider? a vinters club? (ours owns grape destemming crushing equipment) neighbors with grape vines? advice from the local wine and brew toys shop (the two local ones rent presses), someone on this forum?
* if you don’t have many tools, I tend to pick when the yellow jacket wasps have decided the fruit is ripe enough to eat.
* with no equipment a milk crate could be a hand operated destemmer, a pail pressing in another pail is a simple press.
* grapes will want to ferment if they are in a closed container/ bucket/ concrete vat in Italy. A lot of your planning is going to be how to manage the volume.
i've got probably a 55 gallon drum full of grapes that will be ready in the next few days!

Harvest is always busy, ,,, good luck.

thanks!!!
You're welcome!

In terms of equipment, I like this one from Presque Isle: Deluxe Home Wine making Kit designed by PIWC (piwine.com) It has a hydrometer, carboy, autosiphon, hand corker, some corks, bottle filler, and other things.
You'll also need:
-Food safe Brutes for fermenting that are maybe 1/4 larger than your grapes (Home Depot)
-Bottles & corks (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Yeast (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Carboys for aging and clearing (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Airlocks for the carboys (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Potassium metabisulfite for stabilizing and sanitizing (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-OneStep cleanser (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Malolactic Bacteria if you're making a red wine (MLB for MLF) (Piwine or Label Peelers) I use VP41 powder variety
-Oak powder for primary fermentation (Piwine or Label Peelers)
-Oak spirals or cubes for aging (Piwine or Label Peelers)

Crush/destem
-You can destem your grapes by hand if you don't have that equipment
-To crush, you can also do that by hand

Alcohol and MLF Fermentation
-This will happen in your food-safe brutes
-Add your yeast
-Add MLB for MLF; this can take weeks or months and you don't want to add potassium metabisulfite until it is done, so you'll either want to test or taste for this as the wine will shift from fruity to smooth like a commercial wine
-Add oak powder
-You'll want to punch down the cap
-You can ferment to dry there around 0.990-0.995 SG
-Test this with your hydrometer to be sure it is done, meaning you've tested the same specific gravity for three readings

Pressing
When its time to press, you can either do that by hand or make/buy something to do it: DIY Wine Press | ADK Farmer Dan There are also used winemaking equipment on Facebook (18) Winemaking Supplies and Used Equipment For Sale | Facebook ), Craigslist, and sometimes on this forum.

Stabilizing/Bulk aging/Clearing/Degassing
-Rack the wine with the autosiphon into carboys after pressing
-Add oak spirals or cubes
-Add potassium metabisulfite to stabilize and every three months during bulk aging
-Give it a good stir to degas
-Allow the wine to clear there with time
-You can also use clearing agents like superkleer KC

Bottling/Corking
-Taste your wine and make sure it tastes good before you bottle
-Look at your wine in a wine glass to be sure it is clear
-Rack into your primary or a bottling bucket
-Use the bottle filler
-Use the hand corker to cork
-Be sure to store wine bottles upright for three days

Aging in the bottle is good for wine, as well.

Find a local home brew supply store. The people you meet there (not just the staff) will willingly help you navigate down this crazy path. Before you know it, you'll be returning the favor. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they're stupid. Sometimes the questions you ask will spark a conversation that will teach both of you to learn.

Back