How to filter wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Junior
Reaction score
I watched some videos on youtube about making wine from kits and they used a fancy filtration device...Is that really necessary and if not how would some one go about filtering the wine and is it required?

I filter but, no, it is not at all required. Sometime I filter so I can bottle early, you loss flavor doing this and sometoimes I filter trying to fix a cloudy problem. If you follow the direction you wont need to filter but you will need to give it extra time to completly settle out and clear unless you dont mind dust on bottom of bottles. expect to spend 2 bills on a filter for small use, more if you filter a lot of wine and have to buy a bigger setup.

Cheese, PATIENCE is really your best filter. IT WILL all settle, there are some other ways, ansd some of the other members will tell you some of their technuques, I am sure.

There are some ways in the begining to help this, one, use Pectin Enzyme, second use a ferment bag, made from either panty hose(yes panty hose, choose one that matches your eye color for best results), or use a paint straining bag.

But most will agree, just leave it alone, there are some additives to help speed this up, but most will agree just to let it alone.

I am still trying to figure out who said wine has to be clear. If I drink cloudy wine on a clear day, or clear wine on a cloudy day, and I look the other way, well..you get my point.

Patience is THE MOST IMPORTANT ingredient, and I for one have continually have broken this rule, but even my cloudy wine on a clear day was and will be great! Know why, because I made it.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Make as much as you can in the room and storage vessels you have, by the time you get to the 29th one you will forget about the cloudy one, it'll be clearing all on its own
Troy
:b

Our store we buy our kits from rents the filter for like $5.00 well worth the money I think . Maybe yours does also .

Filtering is NOT needed on reds. TIME is your friend. I do filter some of my whites. When I do I use the Boun Vino mini-jet with #2 filter pads
Filtering will not clear a cloudy wine. If you have one add another clearing agent like the 2 part super-kleer.

cheesecake:

There are lots of different opinions on filtering. Until a year ago, I had filtered all of my wines (Buon Vino Mini Jet), primarily because I was bottling fairly quickly. These days I am MUCH slower to bottle, and do not filter as much.

you loss flavor doing this
However, I do not agree with Madmike. I don't think filtering affects the flavour.

Steve

I dont agree with the "Lose flavor" statement either. I have filtered many many times over the years and have split batches in 1/2 to test this amongst friends and although we have noticed very little color loss on some wines we have never been able to detect flavor loss. I dont know, maybe my wines just have more flavor to begin with cause I dont make weak wines. I use a cheap Vinbrite Filter which just uses gravity right now but I will be adding a filtration sytem to my electric pump in which I rack, degas, and bottle my wines with now.

I have stripped flavor out of wine intentionally using #3 pads. Artic, I dont like cloudy wine as a personal choice thing. I love seeing my wines looking polished in a clear wine glass

If you don't like cloudy wine then you need more Patience (time) and clearing agents. Time will clear most wines.If your wine is cloudy filtering will not completely clear the wine.

well i have about 12 months so i think that should be enough time:D

That's the attitude. I'm not that experienced, but I've bottled eight batches (I think) without filtering and never once wished I had done it. To me, it seems unnecessary if you give the wine time to clear.

Jim

Ive had wines bulk age for around a year and then bottled and still had some fallout in the bottle. I dont mind the sediment nor do most friends but I sometimes wish I had filtered a few more then I did cause that will take points off at wine competitions and I will be doing this a little more often, just havent had the extra cash lately.

Latest posts

Back