How to determine % Alcohol AFTER it is finished

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to determine Alcohol Percent AFTER a "beverage" is made.... In other words... got some "stuff" that is really high in alcohol, (homemade everclear) and want to use it to fortify wines to make my ports with the pearson square. Obviously though I need to fix all but one of the variables and I have no way of knowing what this ABV is.
Ideas
smiley25.gif

I really don't want to estimate it, but I'm relatively sure it is in the 190 to 195 Proof range...
smiley4.gif
very smooth too!(would have written this yesterday but.... well, you understand)
Do I have to do trail and error method? (sounds fun, but time consuming as well).

I usually fall over after about 8 shots of something strong. So if ya want me to run a test for you I will. Accuracy guarenteed!!!

Butseriously, I have wondered the same thing. I hope someone here knows the answer.

I know I must sound stupid but this is all new to me.. what is the pearsons square? And why can't you just use the fomula alcohol % = SG-EG
thanks

If you think that you are in the 190+ proof range, that should burn "clean off the spoon". In other words, take a teaspoon, and light it on fire! Once the fire dies out, what you are left with on the spoon is the residual parts of the alcohol. If nothing is left, then you are 190+ proof. If there is other stuff left, then you start to estimate it going down from there.

Remember that each "proof" is 1/2 a percent Alcohol in ABV, so 190 is 95% alcohol, which should leave 5% water/other stuff. so you should barely see anything left as 5% of a teaspoon should also have burned away in the heat of the flames. 10% left doesn't fully burn away, nor does anything else. It's a quick and dirty test without a full true test.

I thought about burning some of it as well, but also thought that the residual material that might remain, (primarily the water), would evaporate to quickly to be very accurate, but that may be the easiest way.
The 400 K test I would call it.... if the house goes with the distilate
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley15.gif

So it would work on my Hooch, but not on wines and beer?

checkin it out right now, Thanks

For a high alcohol mix like that the boiling point would tell you what the % alcohol is. I don't have my tables at work, but you can probably find them on the web with a google search.

Hmm...... boiling flammable liquids, lets watch from afar of course
smiley35.gif
honey where's my eyebrows

Back