How to clean the inside of a siphon tube

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed Lucs tips such as the stocking Idea from today. I want to add one of my own.

This green wire came from the hobby shop. It is used to tie dried flowers together. It is thin, but rigid enough to shove through your tube (I use a 1/2 inch tube)

After soaking your tube in your sanitizing solution, slide the wire all the way through it, twist the wire around a couple cotton balls, dip the cotton into the solution(they will shrink up and fit through the tube), and then pull the wire with the cotton balls back through.

Works great for scrubbing the inside of the tube!!!

Hint: works best to have the tube stretched straight as you feed the wire through.

tube.jpg

tube 2.jpg

I find it easier to immediately rinse the tube and to later (but before it dries) run ~2 gallons of soapy water through it. Follow up with ~2 gallons of HOT rinse water.

THEN I dry the outside and spritz sanatizer into the tube. Run that back and forth a few times, drain and throw in the box.

The very first batch I made I let the must dry inside the tube. I purchased another length of tube for ~$2 bux.

I immediately rinse my hoses in very hot water then roll some sanitizer back and forth in them. Then I either put them away or roll them up and store them in the corkidore. :p

Personally I use a Blast or Double Blast bottle washer to rinse the inside of my hoses. Then i use the bottle washer to push a little pom pom ball (similar to the cotton in the original post) soaked in cleaner through the hose. Works well.

Steve

I do the same as Running wolf but hang them to drip dry first before putting in the corkidor.

My first post in here:

Being a mountain biker I used my Camelback cleaning brush. It has a pipe cleaner on the end of a flexible but strong wire. For those that don't know a Camelback it uses the same type of tubing to drink water from a bladder that sits on your back. Here's a link to the cleaning kit from Amazon for pictures.

Scratch the link as I am a newbie its won't let me post it but you search Amazon for "Camelback Cleaning kit" if you are interested.\

Maybe someone else can post a picture of one for me.
Cheers!

Yes, Exactly. The are available in a variety of kits and combos. Lowest I've seen them is for around $9.00 for just the two brushes.
Thanks for posting!

I had that tube laying around in the shed and it was dirty and I wanted to use it and had to come up with a way to clean the inside. But now that it is clean, I to do the rinse sulfite rine, hang upside down deal.

My first post in here:

Being a mountain biker I used my Camelback cleaning brush. It has a pipe cleaner on the end of a flexible but strong wire. For those that don't know a Camelback it uses the same type of tubing to drink water from a bladder that sits on your back. Here's a link to the cleaning kit from Amazon for pictures.

Scratch the link as I am a newbie its won't let me post it but you search Amazon for "Camelback Cleaning kit" if you are interested.\

Maybe someone else can post a picture of one for me.
Cheers!

I find them here at a great price and free shipping
http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/camelbak-cleaning.html
:sm

It's cheaper and probably safer to replace it every few years! You rinse immediately after using... not a problem!!

Debbie

I agree with Debbie. I personally would not use a brush on any of my tubes. I rinse them with very hot water immediately after using and then spray k-meta in them. I swirl them a bit to dry them and then put them away in my corkidore. The ones with racking canes attached like for the auto siphon, I just hang them on my pegboard. This is the best little tool for rinsing hoses...
http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet1.asp

uummmm....

THAT was a pail of MERLOT!! Interesting way to rinse tubing, I must say!

Debbie

Dan was DRINKING his stuff and it got to his head...:ib

Oviously whateverr it is Dan has had to drink- it has been a bit much!
glassofwine.gif

Please Dan, everybody knows you don't use Merlot to clean the tubes, you use a Chardonnay!

Latest posts

Back