How to clean nylon bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinton4616

Junior
Reaction score
Making Dragon Blood now and was curious, how do you clean your nylon bag after using? Do you rinse thoroughly, then wash in the washing machine?

I used to rinse/wash very good, to make sure and get all sediment, seeds, etc. out, then hang dry. Did that a few times and said, "no more".
I can buy the paint strainer bags at Menards for $3 for a 3 pack. For $1 per bag, I use them and then throw them away.

I cleaned one as well as I could and put it thru the wash. But I also had others and I found myself never reaching for the used one when needed.
I keep it around and cut pieces off when needed. I use it as a little filter on the end of my racking cane. And the little rubber gasket from a juice pail lid or my daughters rubber bands from her bracelet making kit holds it on perfect.
IMG_7528.jpg

I just steal my wife's panty hose before she has a chance to open them, just don't tell her... I soak them in some StarSan and wring them out before using. If I see some color coming out of them, I just wash them with a load of laundry and put them back in her drawer, the go for another pair. Works well and is very cheap (for me).

I just steal my wife's panty hose before she has a chance to open them, just don't tell her... I soak them in some StarSan and wring them out before using. If I see some color coming out of them, I just wash them with a load of laundry and put them back in her drawer, the go for another pair. Works well and is very cheap (for me).

You are either a brave man or one destined to die soon. :wy

I turn them dirty side and shake out the big stuff...rinse of...dry and what's left will just brush off then. To reuse I just soak in StarSan to sanitize and go.

What he said. Hanging them on the clothes line on a windy day helps to get a lot of the little stuff out.

I used to rinse/wash very good, to make sure and get all sediment, seeds, etc. out, then hang dry. Did that a few times and said, "no more".
I can buy the paint strainer bags at Menards for $3 for a 3 pack. For $1 per bag, I use them and then throw them away.

D.J.

We don't have Menards store in South Florida but I found them on Amazon. Do you use the 1 gallon or 5 gallon size?

Do you have a one gallon bucket or a five gallon bucket? The 5 gallon size will work on 6 gallon buckets, too.

Do you have a one gallon bucket or a five gallon bucket? The 5 gallon size will work on 6 gallon buckets, too.

Hi, How are you using your nylon bags? Are you using them as a bucket liner? I've only used them to put fruit in them, tie it off and put in the bucket. Thanks.

"Hi, How are you using your nylon bags? Are you using them as a bucket liner? I've only used them to put fruit in them, tie it off and put in the bucket. Thanks."
You put the mouth of the bag over the opening of the bucket and turn it down over the lip of the bucket. Then you can shovel or dump or slop the fruit and juice into the bag without making a mess. Then tie the bag in a knot like you're saying and it serves as a strainer and easy way to remove the pits, seeds, skins, whatever is left in the bag after primary, by just lifting it up and squeezing over the bucket. Or, in my case if I have 2 or 3 five gallon batches with bags of the same stuff, I just put the bags in my press and press them. Then I have a pancake that comes out of the press with little mess.

I agree....the dollar store have those granny calf length nylons 3 for a dollar

I usually put the bag in the press and squeeze it almost dry. Then turn mine inside out to dump the leftovers, then wash them in the sink and spray them good. Then soak them in a mild bleach solution for a couple days to whiten them, rinse really well, and hang to dry. Mine have lasted a couple years now. The cheap pantyhose idea is a good one - how well would they stand up to the pressure from a press, tho? Will they blow out?

At 3-for a $1.25 I sterilize them cut the excess off tie a knot attach a thread and after 3 months of oaking throw it away.
I do it this way so I can hang the oak in the middle of the carboy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back