How to Calculate Wine ABV %

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading back through this thread and I had to laugh because it reminded me of an incident from many years ago when I was working in my first job. We had a fellow employee who would find "bargains" and buy a number of them, bring them into the shop and "sell" them to his friends at the same price he paid. All in all, a nice gesture. The problem was that occasionally, the items were things that no one needed or wanted and he would get upset when no one would buy one of his "bargains." Some example of the unwanted items were gas cans for $.75 and radio antennas for VW Beetles for $1 (this was a long time ago).

He had a son who was an airline pilot and flew to Europe. On one of his trips to Europe, he bought Ed a watch for something like $250 (I was making $650 per month at the time) and Ed said he could get one for me. "See this watch," he said, "I set it by the Naval Observatory time and it only loses 2 seconds per year!" I was wearing a Timex watch that I had purchased while in the Army at the PX and I remembered the price because of its sequence. "See this watch, Ed," I said, "it cost $5.67 at the PX. It loses about a minute per day but I set it and wind it each morning. When I look at my watch, I want to know if it is quarter to ten or quarter to eleven. That is close enough for me."

Sorry if this is too technical. It is a serious character flaw I have. :sh

original specific gravity - final specific gravity (1.05*/0.8**) (100) = % ABV

* = molar mass of ethanol/molar mass of carbon dioxide

** = density of ethanol

Sorry if this is too technical. It is a serious character flaw I have.

original specific gravity - final specific gravity (1.05*/0.8**) (100) = % ABV

* = molar mass of ethanol/molar mass of carbon dioxide

** = density of ethanol

There is not one formula to calculate ABV. The relationship between SG and ABV is not a constant, it varies along a curve. All formulas approximate an answer.

To make things more difficult, a different formula is required depending upon the suspected ABV. The formula used for beer (4%-6%) is not accurate for table wine (10%-13%) or for higher ABV wines.

Recent research turned up (at least) 4 different formulas used for different ABV ranges. I need to get back to that research to determine if I can accurately place which formula is used for which ABV range.

Latest posts

Back