How to become a winemaker extraordinaire

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherd

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wine Folly has an article in their blog about what it means to become a travelling winemaker, from the viewpoint of a guy who has done so. I really like the article and this quote sums up the many pieces of excellent advice:
"Be honest with yourself and follow the path that feels right for you. Immerse yourself in it. Don’t be afraid to spend the time it takes to build a solid foundation of education, experiences, and sweat equity. There are no shortcuts to success. The longest way is the most reliable way. Take your time and do it right."

https://winefolly.com/update/how-to-become-a-winemaker-extraordinaire-by-julien-fayard/

For many, many years I was a "flying IT consultant". Been to about 25 countries on the course of that work, on five continents.

I could replace "wine" with "IT" and it is exactly the same advice I would give. Just saying, it is not the product that really matters, but the learning process to get experience and personal mindset. ;)

Last edited:
I was a traveling IT consultant for about 10 years. Mostly traveling within the US and Canada, I was away (M-F) for about 40 weeks a year.

I reached the point where all I wanted was to sleep in my own bed. There were definite times where it got the better of me. I especially remember my wife calling at 3am to say "I think that there is someone in the house".

Pretty interesting read Heather. Not sure I’d like the roving wine consultant job, though I’m sure it pays well if you’re that good. I’d miss the grunt work, crushing, pressing, racking, etc. and watching / smelling the progress........

Latest posts

Back