How sweet?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morten

Reaction score
How sweet (oecshle) do you like your pee? I am tetting to figure it out rugby noe, but I can’t really make up my mind regarding the perfect sweetness.

I’m old so I guess mind bitter and could use sweeting, to late??

How sweet (oecshle) do you like your pee? I am tetting to figure it out rugby noe, but I can’t really make up my mind regarding the perfect sweetness.

The obvious answer is to split it into 5 one gallon batches, each with a different sweetness level. Try them all, you will like one better than the others, maybe.

Depends on a lot, I use champagne yeast, so it is pretty dry and yeasty after 2 weeks, I kill fermentation and clear, then add sugar and it taste like lemonade

This is a serious question. 😖 I just tasted my first batch of DB (berry pee) as I'm racking it and honestly, it tastes like crap (pun intended). Will it get better after sweetening?
It was what? 2 weeks old? Very few wines taste good at that point. Give it a month or 2 ...

Thank you for the replies. I hear ya, but... I taste all my wines throughout the process so I have a rough idea what unfinished wine should taste like. Dragon Pee is also supposed to be a quick drinker, so I expect to taste something palatable before I bottle it, even though it's very young. I topped up with 2 bottles of White Zin and later added some sugar after the 2nd racking. At this point I expected it to taste like berry lemonade, as @Jusatele suggested above. Instead, I tasted sugar, alcohol and faint lemon/berry flavors. I've let it sit for another week and I'm hoping those flavors will merge together some. I'll be tasting it again soon.

In a nutshell, I'm expecting Kool-Aid, but I have something that tastes more like sweetened moonshine (its ~11% ABV). I have a liter of red grape concentrate I may add, if needed. I admit I've never made Skeeter Pee or Dragon Blood before, so I don't know exactly what it should taste like. If anyone has had a similar experience, please chime in. Thanks!

I make skeeter pee and some Dragons Blood every year for the part of the family who like sweet things to drink. For my personal taste, which runs to bold, heavy red wines, I just don't find it something I'm going to enjoy. But, the family loves it, it costs almost nothing to make. It's pretty much ready in two to three months from start to finish.

Today, at 4 weeks, my Dragon Blood is tasting better. The flavors are merging and the sweetness is coming forward. I'm so relieved because I had already dreamed up plans for another batch; Blueberry Mojito Dragon Blood. Next time though, I'll probably skip the early tastings. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Gotta go clean some bottles...

Next time though, I'll probably skip the early tastings.
Nope -- keep up the early tastings and teach yourself what the early stages taste like. It's good education.

Stay away from ledges while doing this -- I recommend tasting in the cellar -- the fall hazard is much reduced! 😆

To answer the OP's question, I like it as the recipe says to make it. I've only done 2 batches though. My first batch tasted like sweetened alcohol, as Dan M said. I ended up discarding the whole carboy. My latest batch is fine, and has a light lemony flavor. The sweetness is on the sweeter side of semi-sweet. This was made with a slurry from a red wine kit that used ec-1118

Latest posts

Back