How sweet?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Morten

Junior
Reaction score
How sweet (oecshle) do you like your pee? I am tetting to figure it out rugby noe, but I can’t really make up my mind regarding the perfect sweetness.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
I’m old so I guess mind bitter and could use sweeting, to late??

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
How sweet (oecshle) do you like your pee? I am tetting to figure it out rugby noe, but I can’t really make up my mind regarding the perfect sweetness.
The obvious answer is to split it into 5 one gallon batches, each with a different sweetness level. Try them all, you will like one better than the others, maybe.

Jusatele

Junior
Reaction score
Depends on a lot, I use champagne yeast, so it is pretty dry and yeasty after 2 weeks, I kill fermentation and clear, then add sugar and it taste like lemonade

Dan M

Heckuva Guy
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I hear ya, but... I taste all my wines throughout the process so I have a rough idea what unfinished wine should taste like. Dragon Pee is also supposed to be a quick drinker, so I expect to taste something palatable before I bottle it, even though it's very young. I topped up with 2 bottles of White Zin and later added some sugar after the 2nd racking. At this point I expected it to taste like berry lemonade, as @Jusatele suggested above. Instead, I tasted sugar, alcohol and faint lemon/berry flavors. I've let it sit for another week and I'm hoping those flavors will merge together some. I'll be tasting it again soon.

In a nutshell, I'm expecting Kool-Aid, but I have something that tastes more like sweetened moonshine (its ~11% ABV). I have a liter of red grape concentrate I may add, if needed. I admit I've never made Skeeter Pee or Dragon Blood before, so I don't know exactly what it should taste like. If anyone has had a similar experience, please chime in. Thanks!

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I make skeeter pee and some Dragons Blood every year for the part of the family who like sweet things to drink. For my personal taste, which runs to bold, heavy red wines, I just don't find it something I'm going to enjoy. But, the family loves it, it costs almost nothing to make. It's pretty much ready in two to three months from start to finish.

Latest posts