How soon can I add fining agent?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaloch

Junior
Reaction score
I make a lot fruit and vegetable wines at the same time and am so tired of having to rack them multiple times, it takes so much of my time. I usually rack it after the first 30 days and then every 60 days for 6 months. Then I clear it with I think it’s called Super Kleer it’s a fining agents.

Generally how soon can I add that finning agent? If I could add it after I rack it 2 times (approx. 3 months from making that wine), is that enough time for the wine to reach its maximum yummyness? Does waiting longer before adding fining agent add any benefits?

I make a lot fruit and vegetable wines at the same time and am so tired of having to rack them multiple times, it takes so much of my time. I usually rack it after the first 30 days and then every 60 days for 6 months. Then I clear it with I think it’s called Super Kleer it’s a fining agents.

Generally how soon can I add that finning agent? If I could add it after I rack it 2 times (approx. 3 months from making that wine), is that enough time for the wine to reach its maximum yummyness? Does waiting longer before adding fining agent add any benefits?

Technically speaking, you could add fining agents very soon after the wine is finished fermenting. Sometimes, that results in fluffy lees and possible wine loss. Waiting a bit longer for the wine to degas and the particles to settle out would probably be better to avoid that, a rack or two into the game. It still takes a bit longer for the taste to come around, so it may be just as good to wait if you wait for the taste to come around. Might be worth the effort to fine sooner for an early drinker.

The fining agents IMHO aren’t going to affect the “yummyness” but just clear the wine. By waiting 3 months, with a couple of rankings, you’ll like find you won’t need the agents at all. Your wine will likely be crystal clear by then. Yummyness, as you called it, will escalate with time and peak out within a year and sustain for a couple of years.

Yes, wine takes time and it’s generally worth the wait. Haven’t you ever thought what it might have been if you waited to open that bottle?

I follow the schedule of racking thee days post fermentation rack to get off of gross lees than at three weeks to get of fine lees. let wine clear on its own if not than use fining agent. best is Super KC Kleer or Durafine both same product just different names. works in about 48-72 hours. If in a hurry can be used after three day rack.

I am exclusively a Country Wine maker (Using fruit OTHER than Grapes)

My racking schedule is pretty basic.
1st Rack when SG hits 1.010 and foaming is very low (a little floating foam)
2nd Rack End of fermentation (EoF) addition of K-Meta
3rd Rack When Must is consistent in color top to bottom with clear definition between sediment and must (normally within 1-2 weeks of EoF
4Th 90 days after EoF with addition of K-Meta
5th and 6th following every 90 days with addition of K-Meta
7th one week before bottling for K-Sorbate and K-meta addtion.
Final Rack IF NEEDED due to sediment before bottling. Filter if desired at time as part of bottling prep.

Aging of wines normally not less than 9-12 months depending on progression of clearing.

Racking and Aging takes time and effort but that's what it takes to produce an ENJOYABLE wine. You can move things along faster if you are looking for a 'drinkable' wine but there is a vast difference in most cases.

I bottled and started drinking my first blueberry wine at 4 moths of age and IF I had bottled and started drinking all of my wines at that age..... I probably would not still be making wine.

Last edited:
I added clarifying agents before the wine was completely degassed (one is a pear wine the other a cayuga) and now they seem to be taking longer to clear. Is this usual?

Generally how soon can I add that finning agent?
Ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 answers. And most or all of those answers will be valid. ;)

I've recently shifted my process to the one published by Finer Wine Kits. Start a wine, inoculate, and 24 hours later start stirring at least once daily. When the SG hits ~1.010, seal the fermenter and let it rest until Day 14.

At this point the wine should be done fermenting, and gross lees will have dropped. Rack the wine and degas. Most kit instructions call for 3 to 10 minutes of stirring. I stir with a drill-mounted stirring rod for 1 minute, changing direction after 30 seconds. You do not need to make a vortex, and this does not drive off all CO2; it jump starts the process. Add fining agents and rack into a carboy.

Ignore the wine for 2 to 4 weeks. Then rack off the sediment.

I was taught to rack wine every 3 months, but I'm no longer doing that. If there's a bit of sediment, it's fine lees (yeast hulls), and it causes no harm. I've let wines bulk age 1+ year with good results.

Latest posts

Back