How old is too old for a kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most definitely.

Just use fresh yeast is all..

Make sure the package (the bag inside the box) is still properly sealed and when you crack it open smell/taste the juice to make sure it's really still good.

Congrats on the deal

The rule of thumb that I have read on this and other forums is that 15 months may not be too old IF it was stored the whole time properly. Plan on replacing the yeast (cost only a few $s). Ask for a return guarantee if you get home and open it and it smells off or if the color is brickish or browning. I would even open it as soon as you pay for it (in the store) and decide if it's okay, then rush home and start it. IMHO 30% discount for last years kit is not enough discount.

Yeah, i'd probably ask for a guarantee on a full refund myself and explain to them that you know its last years production.. Then turn around and tell them you're only buying it with the guarantee.. If they respect their business very much, they should be cooperative to an extent...

I would even open it as soon as you pay for it (in the store) and decide if it's okay, then rush home and start it.
Thats exactly what i'd do

Edit: Bleh, just noticed he said 30 bucks off not 30%..... So... It's worth a gamble but depending on the price there might be better things you could do with the money

Last edited:
I got a response from RJ Spagnols "Best with 1 year but might still be good, depends on storage, if the colour is still a good red colour go for it."

Last edited:
Yipee.
I havent met a LE or LQ that I didnt love.
Good for you. Report often.

I just recently had a problem with a Winexpert kit and wrote the company.. They said 18 months from the manufacture date. I bought a kit 2-3 months after the 18th month and have not been able to get it to produce anything worthwhile. It will be my first kit that did not work out. :po

Lesson learned -Be careful and watch the dates carefully.

I gave it the "sniff test" this morning and this one hasn't aged well. The retailer says they just got the kits in recently... so maybe RJS is sending out very old kits?

At any rate, I'm waiting for RJS to respond via email. I certainly hope they cover the bill for an exchange to a similar kit.

I recently bought 2 kits (both products of RJS), one of them had a yeast packet that expired 6 months ago, the other was expiring that month. I got them for buy one, get one free. So far they both are just fine! I pitched fresh yeast and they still smell great. I did get them however anticipating the risk. I guess I lucked out! Good luck!

I don't get why the RJS kits don't sell. We only have one vendor in this area (and 2 of the largest internet brewing supply vendors in the country). WE kits seem to be for sale everywhere I look.

I got another kit (the same one) and it's dropped to FG in primary. The problem is, I never made this kit before so I can't be sure if it's a winner or just blah. I guess I was expecting more at this point because I've made several of the high end Cellar Craft kits with skins and they all had great aroma and flavor right from the start. The Chile Trek wine is a Syrah, Malbec, Cab-Sav and Merlot blend. The skins were dried and never became soft... it was like a bag of beans in there. I['ve heard so much good about RJS kits that I'm still hoping for a great wine eventually.

Geronimo, I've done 5 RJS kits and have one on deck. Of the two were Valpolicella Cru Select, one was Sicilian Syrah, En Premeur a Cru Select Brunello and Toro Restricted Quantity. I have been extremely pleased with all of them. In fact I think I prefer the dried raisin pack better than the wet packs, more of an old school taste. In my experience the Cellar Craft and Wine Expert show well earlier, then the RJS then Mosti takes over a year to be good.

I agree that CC kits show well early, and continue to improve over their life. I've made several of them; Barberra, Amarone, Red Mountain Cab, and Rosso Fortissimo.. all are very drinkable after 6-8 weeks with excellent aroma and flavor. They improve for at least a year.

My experience with the WE kits is quite different. They usually need 9-12 months to really start to become fine wines. I'm talking about their top end red kits (Lodi Ranch 11 Cab, Stag's Leap Merlot etc)... their low end kits and whites are ok earlier on.

Since this is my first RJS I'm hopeful that it's not heading for a failed experience. Just like wineries know... it's the investment in time (aging) that really represents the most significant investment.

The retailer says they just got the kits in recently... so maybe RJS is sending out very old kits?

Doubt that, the hold up may be either the distributor or the retailer. I got some yeast from a distributor that was out of date, Did'nt notice it untill a customer pointed it out to me. Yeast was made before I opened up so it was not on my shelves that long of time.
Other thought, retailer lying about how long it was on the shef.:ft

Back