How often do you follow a recipe exactly as written?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilvixen

Reaction score
Graduate class 11 of 12 is underway (I'm so close!), and I need your help!

Long story short, I created a 5 question survey about your personality and history... and cooking... or baking... or wine making... whatever. So please help me out so I can do a bunch of calculations and stuff.

Link to the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/lIvGkWlsWjbJmpq52

After the course ends, I'll post the results here. Thanks!

(Small print: The survey closes on June 24.)

I just did the survey. I will let @BernardSmith weigh in, but won't it influence your survey population to tell them what your hypothesis is before they take the survey?

Thanks, Paul!

I don't have a specific hypothesis yet - something I actually discussed with the professor today - and I can make an argument for each case, so I don't believe I'm influencing anyone's responses. If you have suggestions on wording, please let me know. This class is an elective, and the first that didn't utilize cut-and-dry, stock market data, so it's a new realm for me, and I wanted to make it fun.

Good luck on the survey and your class. Interesting topic. I look forward to seeing the results.

I just did the survey. I will let @BernardSmith weigh in, but won't it influence your survey population to tell them what your hypothesis is before they take the survey?

weighing in... Doesn't your college's IRB (Institutional Review Board) need to OK any research involving the use of human subjects? There are all kinds of ethical issues that those involved in research with human subjects need to be cognizant of and need address and resolve. That doesn't just apply to those doing medical research or social science research but any research that involves living breathing people.. Your survey does not suggest that your IRB has had any input so I won't complete the survey.

The basis for IRB oversight , by the way, comes from research that was done in Tuskegee from 1932 to 1972 on African Americans suffering from syphilis by the US Public Health Service.

But that aside (and THAT is a big issue to set aside) - your survey does not ask whether any respondent views themselves as novices or experts in baking or wine making etc - so even if personality may play a role so might their comfort level and familiarity with ingredients and outcomes

Hi Bernard,

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm doing the non-thesis track in finance as a plan B degree, and this Intro to Econometrics is an elective option. Undergrads are given data for the project, and grad students are encouraged to use their thesis stuff. I don't have a thesis, and I need to have data by next week, so I figured I'd have fun with a random topic, since the class is teaching how to interpret data. In 4 weeks, this class will be over, I'll move on to Corporate Valuation in the fall, and likely never use this degree. But it was an interesting and productive escape from the awful morale at my day job.

I don't think an IRB is required for this kind of "study." It has been a long time since I took a research class, but asking questions of this type aren't generally covered by those rules. And I would think her professor would have suggested that they present it, if he felt it were required.

I do think there probably needs to be some kind of do you consider yourself a novice, beginner, intermediate, whatever, kind of question. And the did your parents follow a recipe was hard for me to decide how to answer, mom did, dad had no idea what a cookbook was, he and I were both taught by grandmom who was a pinch, tad, bit kind of cook tasting everything, never had any recipes. (Drove my mom crazy. My mom tried to write down what grandma did, but it was different every time, so she gave up).

Recipes are like instructions - optional reading. :)

Survey complete.

EasyButton_000041112260_Medium.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think about the "how do you rate yourself" question, but that's a good one.

The professor didn't say anything, but if it's that big of a deal, I can fall back on stock return data instead.

Also, @cmason1957, I'm totally a pinch, tad, bit cook, and it drives my husband and sis crazy: "How much is a pinch?! By whose fingers?!"

As a former hiker and backpacker all over the southwest, I often used the phrase "trails are made for people who lack imagination." Seems to fit with recipes as well. Both assume that you know what you're doing, why you want to deviate, acceptance of challenges and unexpected results, and how to recover should you hit an obstacle.

And for the purists out there, my off trail adventures were in remote national forests, not national monuments or areas with cryptobiotic soils or other sensitive/erosional considerations.

Done, but I have an "issue" with the first question. When baking, I do follow the recipe as written, unless I am missing a component or cannot obtain it, then I modify it. I believe that question could have more than one answer.
JMO

My Mom has a recipe book collection and never uses a recipe! She says she loved recipe books because they tell her high high and how long in the oven....the rest is up to her. She taught me how to cook.

I make good chilli outta what is in the kitchen, freezer, and my head. My wife makes GREAT chilli every time with a recipe that uses freaking catsup...the thought just gags me, catsup! Awesome chilli though.

Hi Bernard,

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm doing the non-thesis track in finance as a plan B degree, and this Intro to Econometrics is an elective option. Undergrads are given data for the project, and grad students are encouraged to use their thesis stuff. I don't have a thesis, and I need to have data by next week, so I figured I'd have fun with a random topic, since the class is teaching how to interpret data. In 4 weeks, this class will be over, I'll move on to Corporate Valuation in the fall, and likely never use this degree. But it was an interesting and productive escape from the awful morale at my day job.

Seriously, I would ask your professor if she or he is familiar with the IRB. Colleges and universities CAN lose all federal grants for research if they fail to comply with research ethics. It may be that business depts don't typically roll their research through IRBs because they may not typically work with what are defined as "human subjects" but as soon as you survey or interview people IRB protocols trump everything ... and knowing that you may get extra credit (although you would not get extra credit at my college for following established standard protocol):b

I survived the class, woohoo! The topic was fun, but taking a summer grad class was brutal. I wish I could have taken it during the fall semester like I’d planned so I could have more time to enjoy it, but alas, it’s only offered at the undergrad level in the fall.

I wasn’t able to use this survey for my project because it wasn’t complex enough. Instead my project analyzed the firm size effect on predicted returns of the stock market in the last decade. That wasn’t near as fun as this topic (to me), but it had the complexity needed for the project.

Since I didn’t use the data for class, it’s now just “a random chick on the internet wants to know…” and given the small sample size of 70 observations, the results aren’t conclusive, but it’s still fun anyway.

I used a linear probability model to try to discern how someone would answer the “do you follow a recipe” question based on the person’s age, gender, and if the person is a rule-follower in life and if the person’s parents followed a recipe.

The models below predict the correct outcome 50% of the time, and they’re really good at predicting “failures” (i.e. not this answer), but they aren’t good at predicting “successes” (i.e. yes, this answer). None of the coefficients are statistically significant, and including and excluding variables and slope dummies changed the coefficients but did not produce any statistically significant results, so these models, given the sample set, aren’t good, but it was still fun to play around with.

^Exactly = 0.09 + 0.07Parents - 0.10Life + 0.04Gender + 0.002Age

^Dietary = 0.61 - 0.09Parents - 0.07Life - 0.11Gender - 0.003Age

^Substitution = 0.37 - 0.02Parents + 0.06Life - 0.05Gender - 0.005Age

^Suggestion = -0.06 + 0.04Parents + 0.11Life + 0.12Gender + 0.006Age

where: ^Exactly = the predicted probability that a person will follow a recipe exactly

^Dietary = the predicted probability that a person will change a recipe for dietary reasons or taste preferences

^Substitution = the predicted probability that a person will make substitutions with ingredients on hand

^Suggestion = the predicted probability that a person will consider a recipe just a suggestion

Parents = 1 if the person’s parents generally followed a recipe, 0 otherwise

Life = 1 if the person considers themselves a rule follower in life, 0 otherwise

Gender = 1 if the person is male, 0 if the person is female

Age = the age of the person (in the survey, these were ranges, so I used the midpoint

So for myself, here are the predicted probabilities:

^Exactly = 0.09 + (0.07*0) – (0.10*1) + (0.04*0) + (0.002*36) = 0.102 => (less than 0.5) => interpreted as 0 (failure) => No, won’t follow exactly

^Dietary = 0.43 => (< 0.5) => 0 => No, won’t change for dietary or taste preferences

^Substitution = 0.25 => (< 0.5) => 0 => No, won’t substitute with what’s on hand

^Suggestion = 0.27 => (< 0.5) => 0 => No, doesn’t see recipes as a suggestion

I picked “Dietary,” which had the highest probability given my inputs, so it was on the right track, but it still predicted it as a “failure” when rounded to a boolean Yes/No value.

Anyway, thank you to everyone who played along for a random chick on the internet’s Question of the Day. I enjoyed playing with the data :db

Latest posts

Back