How not to top off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frtrey

Sacramental Wine Maker
Reaction score
Is it possible, when you do a kit wine - to get to the point where you don't have to top off after you rack to clarify? Several posts in the forum talk about marbles or 5 gal carboys - but, how do I go from 6.2 gal kit (roughly) to around 5.5 gal? I feel like I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something here. Help!

Like many other questions, the answer is "it depends". In this case, it depends on how much sediment you have. If you have only a small amount of sediment remaining and the wine is headed well, there may not be sufficient space created to require additional heading. In my particular case, I usually taste the wine when I rack so I'll loose overall enough to require some addition - around an ounce or two.

If you are racking to clarify, you will always lose some volume of wine. As Tony sayd, it may be minimal and not require "volume adjustment," however you do it, e.g. topping up, adding marbles, smaller vessels, etc. Going from start to finish on a kit and losing a half gallon would not be uncommon for a red although it may be for a white. As I have said many times before, I rarely "top off" and I usually decrease the volume of the vessels.

frtrey, I had similar topping off issues/?? for a while when I first started making wine. Then I just decided to buy a similar store wine to the wine I was racking so I could use it to top off & then drink the balance! easy with most kits, a little harder with homemade fruit wines, but I still do it. For example, when topping off my Apple Wine I'll use a Chardonnay, for Blueberry Wine I'll use a light Cab etc. works well for me. Roy

My advise is that you should ALWAYS top off. No matter what!

actually, john, i think here is where we need to clarify the reason WHY we top off...that reason would be to reduce overall headspace in the carboy, and limit surface contact with air...therefore reducing the size of the continer, as has already been stated, is also a viable option as opposed to "topping off", persay....whatever the method chosen, the result is the same: make the surface area that makes contact with air, or oxygen, as small as possible to preserve the wine and limit oxidation damage....

I went to a wielding shop and bought a bottle of argon gas. I add gas about once per month.

i would also add that with the co2, not only is it temporary as it will escaped the airlock in time, it also runs the risk of POSSIBLY getting bound back into suspension,depending on the temperature it is kept at, as colder liquids tend to retain co2...and as we purposely try to rid the wine of co2, why risk co2 getting back into our wine after working so hard to degas in the first place?...

I use Argon all the time. Mostly for backfilling my open bottles of wine each week that are for topping up my barrels. I also use it for short term settling of wines in a carboy or magnum bottle. Argon is the preferred gas for this as it is heavier than air and therefore wants to "fall" not rise.

I use Argon all the time. Mostly for backfilling my open bottles of wine each week that are for topping up my barrels. I also use it for short term settling of wines in a carboy or magnum bottle. Argon is the preferred gas for this as it is heavier than air and therefore wants to "fall" not rise.

mike, i am not questioning the use of an inert gas such as argon in certain instances by any means....i am just addressing a concern about using co2, which you of course know, is something we try to get rid of in the first place, is all...

That's good to know when we rack go from 6gal to 5 gal with remainder in 1 gal. We use the one gal for top offs. Using argon how long is that sustainable on the 1 gallon we've used co2 on them to this point.

So adding argon once a week will keep it without having to add any more fluid or changing the flavor?

That's good to know when we rack go from 6gal to 5 gal with remainder in 1 gal. We use the one gal for top offs. Using argon how long is that sustainable on the 1 gallon we've used co2 on them to this point.

i guess i would have to say that one determining factor in what method to use employ to reduce headspace would be how short of a full carboy are you in the first place....if it's only a few ounces, then water could possibly be used without too much dilution...if more than a few ounces but less than a 1/5's worth of wine, you could either use marbles to take up the empty space or top off with a like wine...if more than a 1/5's worth of wine, then the best course of action would be to downsize to smaller containers....but as i started out saying, if you are extremely close to the full 6 gallons, then i wouldn't really worry about downsizing...

So adding argon once a week will keep it without having to add any more fluid or changing the flavor?

If your bulk aging it makes more sense to either top up or rack down than to continually use expensive inert gas.

Do not use inert gas for anything longer than a few weeks at best.

BRAVO GLOWIN!!!

I have seen the topic of using inert gas or CO2 come up many times in the past, and have said the very same thing every time.

Use of inert gas will only truly work if you employ a pressure tight seal to your carboy. If you plan to use a standard type of fermentation trap, then follow Glowin's advise and only use inert gasses to hold wine for just a couple of days.

Truly, the best solution is to either change vessel sizes, use marbles, or top off with wine (even if it is store bought). My advise has always been to aviod spending tons of money on gas and a canister. Use to money instead to keep your vessels topped off instead!

Latest posts

Back