how much yeast to use???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
ok, gonna be in a position to pitch the yeast tonight on my apple/pear spice. i have split up everything in 2 buckets, (will be racking into my 6.5 gallon carboy). i would like to use cotes de blanc. should i use one packet in each bucket, or split a packet?
(the fluid level is up to about the 3.5 gallon line on the buckets, and that's with the squished apples/pears/cinnamon sticks floating in it)

You can use one packet but Id probably use 1 on each bucket especially if you are not making a yeast starter.

You can use one packet but Id probably use 1 on each bucket especially if you are not making a yeast starter.

i've had such good luck with my fermentations, i haven't really considered a starter...yet. i'm sure my day will come. i have plenty of yeast, but i didn't want to "overdo" either. i tried luc's freezing method on my apples, but still wound up kmeta my hands and just reached in the bucket and still had to bust some pieces up. i think i could have used a little bit more pectin, but it was kinda fun squishing those apples, lol
my s.g. is 1.074...do you think the fruit will release anymore natural sugars?
i would like this to be lower than average abv, due to the nondrinking nature of alot of family members who would still try some at christmas.

I dont think the apples will give much fpor sugar. Apples can be a real ber as far as breaking up hence why they maker a seperate tool for this called an apple crusher and its pretty heavy duty. Ive seen on another wine forum where someone made one by taking a in sink disposal and have a bucket underneath it and crush the apples into juice this way, I would recommend cutting the seeds out for this method though.

ok, used one packet for each bucket, cote de blancs...happily fermenting away tonight. just wanted to confess...fermenting fruit stinks:sh
now that i'm smelling these apples, the peaches were just doing their thing. i feel so silly, but i'm learning....yep, i'm learning

Latest posts

Back