How much wine do you make?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much wine do you make per year?

• 1 to 5 gallons / 4 to 19 liters

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 6 to 10 gallons / 23 to 38 liters

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 11 to 25 gallons / 42 to 95 liters

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • 26 to 50 gallons / 98 to 189 liters

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 51 to 75 gallons / 193 to 284 liters

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • 76 to 100 gallons / 288 to 379 liters

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • 101 to 150 gallons / 382 to 568 liters

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • 151 to 200 gallons / 572 to 757 liters

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 200+ gallons / 758+ liters

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting -- of the first 20 responders, exactly half make 26-50 gallons per year. The graph looks sort of like a bell curve, so it appears that is the "sweet spot".
I had to guess. I am about 45 gallons made in the first 5 months, but I am attempting to create a surplus. I can only imagine once I get ahead of myself I will find a balance point of what I drink and give away within the 26-50 range.

I only started in February 2021. Original plan was just to make 1 kit with my beer making equipment and see if it warranted making any more.

1. Well then I started reading about bulk aging (so I did not bottle that first kit so soon), 1
  2. then I read about RJS joining WE in downsizing kits (so I bought 3 of the old 18L EP kits), +3=4
  3. then I read about FWK (finer wine kits) and even though those were more concentrated I liked the pitch and have now done about 8 of those, +8=12
  4. Then I got inspired to get up super early and pick my own fresh grapes last fall - 163#=2 carboys of first run, plus 1 carboy of 2nd run, +3=15
  5. So honestly I only have 4 wines bottled but I have 10 carboys full plus one primary, with my first ever WE kit waiting in cue since it is shelf stable (too intrigued to pass up the Marselan) +1=16
  6. so 16 carboys filled in under 18 months, I had to join the 51-75 gallon club, but I think going forward, I will dial back. Just wanted to get the aging stuff started and going forward that 5-9 carboys a year will be plenty, hopefully can do almost half of that from fresh grapes in the fall, complemented by 4 or 5 kits a year.

But honestly still seeing how good these initial wines really are - they are all still so young. I think I will keep doing it but I'm also mindful that I am good at buying great QPR wines where I don't have to commit to 2+ cases at a time. But Winemaking is definintely saving me money so long as (1) end product is tasty, and (2) I don't buy too much equipment I don't already have, don't really need.

My interest in winemaking has gone up-n-down over the years, but in 2018 I got a resurge in interest that hasn't waned. Including this fall's projection, I'm averaging 61 gallons per year since then.

With 27 responses, the 26-50 gallon category is still the leader with 13.

I started in 2019 with 5 gallons, 30 gallons in 2020, and 45 gallons in 2021. Last year I invested in 3, 27 gallon (110L) Spiedel variable capacity tanks. That is good for 80 gallons when totally full, which I plan to do, and will likely max out at that level. I have room in my space for about 10 more 6 gallon carboys. We'll see if I expand to that level in a year or two.

the amount varies greatly year to year.
22 batches (1 beer) in 2021 but almost 184 gallons highest ever more than double the year before.- some are still bulk aging in the carboys
so far none in 2022 - but have a few big brews coming up.
I got a bigger fermenter this year so I can brew fewer times and have more aging.

I started in 2019 with 5 gallons, 30 gallons in 2020, and 45 gallons in 2021. Last year I invested in 3, 27 gallon (110L) Spiedel variable capacity tanks. That is good for 80 gallons when totally full, which I plan to do, and will likely max out at that level. I have room in my space for about 10 more 6 gallon carboys. We'll see if I expand to that level in a year or two.
NICE - I just brought home a 27 gallon conical fermenter. - hope to try it out a few times this year.
I jumped up like you started in 2017 / 2018 but only 1 batch less than 5g each til 2019 - 15 gallons then 2020 =16 total batches 2 were double = 84g and close to 185g in 22 batches in 2021- still 15+ carboys full - bulk aging. (carried away in 2021!)

Hmmmm.. As I said, I am trying to get enough bulk aging that I can get ahead of myself. All you guys that increased production after the first year are not instilling confidence. I assumed I would slow down and be in the 26-50 range.

I have 6- 6 gallon batches in secondary, 1- 3 gallon, and 3- 1 gallon batches. I have 2 empty 6 gallon carboys, 1- 3 gallon and 4-5 1 gallon.

I have to admit my neighbor is having a garage sale this weekend and he has carboys he is getting rid of. I was considering going over this afternoon and getting them before they are available to others.

I may need to change my vote. :oops:

Hmmmm.. As I said, I am trying to get enough bulk aging that I can get ahead of myself. All you guys that increased production after the first year are not instilling confidence. I assumed I would slow down and be in the 26-50 range.
:slp Nope!

Whites and light reds are typically good for 2 to 5 years, while heavy reds 3 to 7 years, IME. Some last longer, but there's little worse than having 2 cases of wine that is clearly declining.

Examine your usage, both what you drink and what you give away, and make projections. This involves a lot of guessing and hoping, even with experience. I suggest overestimating your usage, as it's better to have too much than too little.

Keep bottle aging in mind -- my 2019 Merlot needs another year in the bottle, while the 2019 Zinfandel is good. Both are 2.5 yo at this point, so time frames can be longer than you expect.

I have to admit my neighbor is having a garage sale this weekend and he has carboys he is getting rid of. I was considering going over this afternoon and getting them before they are available to others.
Snag 'em while you can!!!

Last edited:
Snag 'em while you can!!!

Hahah, my thoughts exactly.

It's hard to guess what one will 'need'. I was guessing 15 bottles a month VERY conservatively. This just accounts for the standard couple of glasses with dinner. No flair ups. I have inlaws that will help us put down 6 bottles in an evening, easily.

The six batches I have now account for about one year of sipping, but I want enough to age. I feel the Shiraz I made is better than the store bought I topped it up with at 4 months. I'm tempted to bottle it because it is good by my standards, but I want to age it to increase my standards and educate my pallet.
The hard part is letting the wine develop enough to develop my tastes.

If I make enough I can't help but let it age!

I have yet to tell my wife I ordered 2 FWK today.....
Ahh, so the struggle is real.

This is why I am considering bottling the Shiraz.

'Really? You need more!'

'Can I get you a glass of wine dear?'

'Mmm, this is good. Have you got more ageing, this won't last long.'

'No, but I could make another for you if you would like.'

It always goes just how I imagine. I'm sure it would be just like that. :D

Latest posts

Back