Votes: 3 3.2%
  • 200+ gallons / 758+ liters

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

vinny

Mildly Amused
Reaction score
Interesting -- of the first 20 responders, exactly half make 26-50 gallons per year. The graph looks sort of like a bell curve, so it appears that is the "sweet spot".
I had to guess. I am about 45 gallons made in the first 5 months, but I am attempting to create a surplus. I can only imagine once I get ahead of myself I will find a balance point of what I drink and give away within the 26-50 range.

Gilmango

Reaction score
I only started in February 2021. Original plan was just to make 1 kit with my beer making equipment and see if it warranted making any more.

1. Well then I started reading about bulk aging (so I did not bottle that first kit so soon), 1
  2. then I read about RJS joining WE in downsizing kits (so I bought 3 of the old 18L EP kits), +3=4
  3. then I read about FWK (finer wine kits) and even though those were more concentrated I liked the pitch and have now done about 8 of those, +8=12
  4. Then I got inspired to get up super early and pick my own fresh grapes last fall - 163#=2 carboys of first run, plus 1 carboy of 2nd run, +3=15
  5. So honestly I only have 4 wines bottled but I have 10 carboys full plus one primary, with my first ever WE kit waiting in cue since it is shelf stable (too intrigued to pass up the Marselan) +1=16
  6. so 16 carboys filled in under 18 months, I had to join the 51-75 gallon club, but I think going forward, I will dial back. Just wanted to get the aging stuff started and going forward that 5-9 carboys a year will be plenty, hopefully can do almost half of that from fresh grapes in the fall, complemented by 4 or 5 kits a year.

But honestly still seeing how good these initial wines really are - they are all still so young. I think I will keep doing it but I'm also mindful that I am good at buying great QPR wines where I don't have to commit to 2+ cases at a time. But Winemaking is definintely saving me money so long as (1) end product is tasty, and (2) I don't buy too much equipment I don't already have, don't really need.

Reaction score
My interest in winemaking has gone up-n-down over the years, but in 2018 I got a resurge in interest that hasn't waned. Including this fall's projection, I'm averaging 61 gallons per year since then.

With 27 responses, the 26-50 gallon category is still the leader with 13.

DaveMcC

Escaping the prison of past and future, with wine.
Reaction score
I started in 2019 with 5 gallons, 30 gallons in 2020, and 45 gallons in 2021. Last year I invested in 3, 27 gallon (110L) Spiedel variable capacity tanks. That is good for 80 gallons when totally full, which I plan to do, and will likely max out at that level. I have room in my space for about 10 more 6 gallon carboys. We'll see if I expand to that level in a year or two.

ljewels4u

Junior
Reaction score
the amount varies greatly year to year.
22 batches (1 beer) in 2021 but almost 184 gallons highest ever more than double the year before.- some are still bulk aging in the carboys
so far none in 2022 - but have a few big brews coming up.
I got a bigger fermenter this year so I can brew fewer times and have more aging.

ljewels4u

Junior
Reaction score
I started in 2019 with 5 gallons, 30 gallons in 2020, and 45 gallons in 2021. Last year I invested in 3, 27 gallon (110L) Spiedel variable capacity tanks. That is good for 80 gallons when totally full, which I plan to do, and will likely max out at that level. I have room in my space for about 10 more 6 gallon carboys. We'll see if I expand to that level in a year or two.
NICE - I just brought home a 27 gallon conical fermenter. - hope to try it out a few times this year.
I jumped up like you started in 2017 / 2018 but only 1 batch less than 5g each til 2019 - 15 gallons then 2020 =16 total batches 2 were double = 84g and close to 185g in 22 batches in 2021- still 15+ carboys full - bulk aging. (carried away in 2021!)

vinny

Mildly Amused
Reaction score
Hmmmm.. As I said, I am trying to get enough bulk aging that I can get ahead of myself. All you guys that increased production after the first year are not instilling confidence. I assumed I would slow down and be in the 26-50 range.

I have 6- 6 gallon batches in secondary, 1- 3 gallon, and 3- 1 gallon batches. I have 2 empty 6 gallon carboys, 1- 3 gallon and 4-5 1 gallon.

I have to admit my neighbor is having a garage sale this weekend and he has carboys he is getting rid of. I was considering going over this afternoon and getting them before they are available to others.

I may need to change my vote. :oops:

Reaction score
Hmmmm.. As I said, I am trying to get enough bulk aging that I can get ahead of myself. All you guys that increased production after the first year are not instilling confidence. I assumed I would slow down and be in the 26-50 range.
:slp Nope!

Whites and light reds are typically good for 2 to 5 years, while heavy reds 3 to 7 years, IME. Some last longer, but there's little worse than having 2 cases of wine that is clearly declining.

Examine your usage, both what you drink and what you give away, and make projections. This involves a lot of guessing and hoping, even with experience. I suggest overestimating your usage, as it's better to have too much than too little.

Keep bottle aging in mind -- my 2019 Merlot needs another year in the bottle, while the 2019 Zinfandel is good. Both are 2.5 yo at this point, so time frames can be longer than you expect.

I have to admit my neighbor is having a garage sale this weekend and he has carboys he is getting rid of. I was considering going over this afternoon and getting them before they are available to others.
Snag 'em while you can!!!

Last edited:

vinny

Mildly Amused
Reaction score
Snag 'em while you can!!!

Hahah, my thoughts exactly.

It's hard to guess what one will 'need'. I was guessing 15 bottles a month VERY conservatively. This just accounts for the standard couple of glasses with dinner. No flair ups. I have inlaws that will help us put down 6 bottles in an evening, easily.

The six batches I have now account for about one year of sipping, but I want enough to age. I feel the Shiraz I made is better than the store bought I topped it up with at 4 months. I'm tempted to bottle it because it is good by my standards, but I want to age it to increase my standards and educate my pallet.
The hard part is letting the wine develop enough to develop my tastes.

If I make enough I can't help but let it age!

vinny

Mildly Amused
Reaction score
I have yet to tell my wife I ordered 2 FWK today.....
Ahh, so the struggle is real.

This is why I am considering bottling the Shiraz.

'Really? You need more!'

'Can I get you a glass of wine dear?'

'Mmm, this is good. Have you got more ageing, this won't last long.'

'No, but I could make another for you if you would like.'

It always goes just how I imagine. I'm sure it would be just like that. :D

Latest posts