How much wine do you make? (2023)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much wine do you make per year?

• 1 to 5 gallons / 4 to 19 liters

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 6 to 10 gallons / 23 to 38 liters

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 11 to 25 gallons / 42 to 95 liters

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • 26 to 50 gallons / 98 to 189 liters

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • 51 to 75 gallons / 193 to 284 liters

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • 76 to 100 gallons / 288 to 379 liters

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 101 to 150 gallons / 382 to 568 liters

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 51 to 200 gallons / 572 to 757 liters

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • 200+ gallons / 758+ liters

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In May 2022 I posted a poll, asking how much wine our members make each year. Ninety-four people responded and the majority (75.5%) make 11 to 75 gallons / 42 to 284 liters each year, with 26 to 50 gallons / 98 to 189 liters as the sweet spot at 33.0%.

Note that "gallons' is US gallons, not Imperial.

To see if anything changed in the last year in our membership, this is an identical poll. As with last year, this one will be open for 60 days.

EDIT: The poll didn't save the first time, but I was able to add it.

EDIT 2: I had a copy/paste error -- the next to last line should be "151 to 200 gallons". I can add new options to the poll, but cannot fix saved options.

One thing to note is that while the USA restricts amateur production to 200 US gallons/year for head of household, the remainder of the world is not bound by this restriction.

While fun, this poll is not very accurate, since:
  • some members are professionals who are not bound by the above restriction
  • some members are part of a group, so the reported figure is not individual production
In my case, my production has been consistent, but the consumption varies:
  • In the past both sons lived at home, so I had help with consumption.
  • Currently my elder son and a niece own part of the production.
However, it's still fun.

I went with what I started last year… 34 gallons. most still in bulk to be bottled this summer. I’m sure once my vines start producing that will increase.

Group here.*

We're in the 151-200 gallon range. The majority of the production goes to two partners. The minor partners account for less than thirty percent. After the math, the major partners are >50 gallons per year.

Thank goodness we're making wine that has the ability to age for a few years.

An additional thank goodness that finally what we make and give away won't embarrass us.

As far as accuracy goes, it depends on what you want to measure:

• Total average output per member?
  • Total amount of work or members (or team members) that goes into production?
  • The size of annual production of each cellar?
  • Or something else altogether?
Either way, the poll is fun.

*Speaking of group wine making, if you're in Western Pennsylvania our group is looking to expand. Whether you want to be part of our crush, want to buy and have us crush for you so that you can ferment in your own cellar, or just want to buy your grapes at a discount and go on your merry way we'd like to talk with you. Drop me a PM so we can get the ball rolling.

This year I finally built a cellar/cold room in my garage, so am able to increase production. The plan is for 80+ gallons.

I built the cellar inspired and based on NorCal's cellar. Mine is 8 x 6 and can hold 6 barrels on the ground plus carboys on a bench, a couple 200L Speidels and at least 20 cases of bottles. Up until this year I had to have everything in bottles by July or move it to the living room. Looking forward to the 2023 harvest!

I have a very aggressive winemaking schedule that will include a couple gallons each of the following varieties of fresh grapes:

1. Cab Sauv
2. Merlot
3. Cab Franc
4. Petite Sirah
5. Petit Verdot
6. Carménère
7. Tempranillo
8. Mourvèdre
9. Pinot Noir
10. Syrah
11. Malbec
12. Chardonnay
13. Pinot Grigio
14. Sauv Blanc

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure how to vote - I made 3 barrels last year as part of a group plus assorted carboys that totaled to just over 200 gallons. But I’ll only keep about 30 gallons with the rest off to other group members. I ended up casting my vote for the bigger number since that seemed more consistent with how others are voting. I should also point out - this is what I made from 2022 grapes. What I will make this fall is very much up in the air as I’m in discussions with multiple groups and might also have some grapes from my baby vineyard.

BTW I did not include any work done last year with commercial wineries which would have really thrown the numbers off since I did eight crushes and three bottling runs.

I wasn’t sure how to vote - I made 3 barrels last year as part of a group plus assorted carboys that totaled to just over 200 gallons.
Your response is fine, it makes sense -- to me at least. Next year I may alter the survey to state how much wine are the respondents keeping for their immediate family, just to make things more consistent.

At the same time, of the respondents, how many of us are part of a group, and how many are singletons? I suspect the singleton's outweigh the groups by a lot. Which could be another survey ...

At the same time, of the respondents, how many of us are part of a group, and how many are singletons? I suspect the singleton's outweigh the groups by a lot. Which could be another survey ...
I do both. I make wine on my own in smaller batches (Carboys) and do one or two group efforts each year where we buy grapes in large enough quantities that we get higher quality grapes and get to use commercial barrels etc.

I suspect there will be many in this third group.

Your response is fine, it makes sense -- to me at least. Next year I may alter the survey to state how much wine are the respondents keeping for their immediate family, just to make things more consistent.

You're probably right.

I wonder how many folks start this journey as solitary makers as opposed to how many get started as part of a group or mentored by an experienced maker.

It would be interesting to get an idea of how groups are set up and how much labor is provided by majority and minority partners. Couple that data along with how the wine gets divided among group members.

Last edited:
I'm all over the place. Last year (2022) I made only 45 gallons. It's still bulk aging. The years before that I made 60-90 gallons. You can only drink so much. So even after give-aways you end up with much more than you can drink. With that said, I'm hoping to make 15-20 gallons of 4 varieties this next harvest. So 80 ish gallons. I have a very promising new source of premium grapes, and also my usual sources of Syrah and Zinfandel. I'd love to make 20 gallons of a Primitivo Rose. So we'll see what the fall brings. My goal in 2023 is to make much more white wine. Time will tell if that's realistic.

I made 72 gallons in 2022, down quite a bit from 2021 When I made 125 gallons. Cellar's full now so I'll probably do 5-12 gallons month now just to replenish stock as I consume it.

Latest posts

Back