How Much Wine Do You Drink?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has a glass of white wine most nights just before dinner. I often have a glass of red with dinner. Love making classic cocktails or having a nice scotch or bourbon while we make dinner, so the nights those make an appearance the wine bottle is often neglected, not because I wouldn’t love more wine but I just can’t tolerate too much alcohol without poor sleep and feeling a bit seedy the next day. I guess knocking back a bottle of Ripple or Thunderbird at a sitting just isn’t in the cards this time around.

Three 3-oz bistro glasses every evening, for both of us. Totals little bit over half a liter between us. I like to have one while we're cooking, and the next two with dinner. My wife takes a couple of sips while cooking, finishing that one and the next one with dinner, and the third one after. We're very consistent with that, except for holidays, when we bring out the much nicer wine glasses that encourage drinking more. And on New Year's, when we'll kill a couple of bottles between NYE and NY Day brunch. My everyday wine is low-alcohol, never higher thant 12%. I love wine and beer but do not like the feeling of intoxication that alcohol gives. That's what pot's for.

Three 3-oz bistro glasses every evening, for both of us. Totals little bit over half a liter between us. I like to have one while we're cooking, and the next two with dinner. My wife takes a couple of sips while cooking, finishing that one and the next one with dinner, and the third one after. We're very consistent with that, except for holidays, when we bring out the much nicer wine glasses that encourage drinking more. And on New Year's, when we'll kill a couple of bottles between NYE and NY Day brunch. My everyday wine is low-alcohol, never higher thant 12%. I love wine and beer but do not like the feeling of intoxication that alcohol gives. That's what pot's for.
Pretty much what we consume. Tough to keep up the cellar with currently drinkable wines vs aging. Once in awhile I still buy commercial wines to ease the strain on my stash.

I don't drink every night, but have done the odd time. That's when I wake up the 2nd day and feel pretty rough! I ended up making a calc to work out how many pints of beer my wine equates to if it was 5% ABV (otherwise I can't keep track of how much I'm drinking) and I generally stick to around 4 or 5 pints worth - which on my last batch of orange wine, is about 800ml of wine (158ml wine @ 18% ABV = 568ml pint of beer @ 5%) so it's about 1 bottle, but that's at 18% ABV. All I care about is getting the ABV to those sorts of levels, after all it doesn't really cost much more to do it, when it's just a few 100g's more sugar. I tried sweetening it then realized I prefer it as dry as possible.

Lately I’ve cut back because I don’t want to drink crummy wine anymore. Tonight I’m drinking half a bottle of Vern’s red blend which is better than any commercial cold hardy grape I’ve ever tried. Normally one glass with dinner and one after usually, my wife doesn’t drink anymore due to her chemo so I don’t like drinking alone that much.

Hey there! I stumbled upon this thread and found it interesting. I used to be like you and could easily finish a bottle of wine before bed, but I've since switched to some healthier options. Well, I had to do something with my drinking problem, and it became a problem for me.
Nowadays, I prefer to unwind with a cup of herbal tea or a kava drink. Kava has become my new go-to since discovering Kavasutra. Their webpage has tons of info on the benefits and effects of kava. Anyway, thanks for sharing your wine routine, and cheers to finding new, healthier options!

Hey there! I stumbled upon this thread and found it interesting. I used to be like you and could easily finish a bottle of wine before bed, but I've since switched to some healthier options. Well, I had to do something with my drinking problem, and it became a problem for me.
Nowadays, I prefer to unwind with a cup of herbal tea or a kava drink. Kava has become my new go-to since discovering Kavasutra. Their webpage has tons of info on the benefits and effects of kava. Anyway, thanks for sharing your wine routine, and cheers to finding new, healthier options!
Sounds like an advertisement for an unsafe preparation, I’ve always felt sorry for people who can’t control their drinking because it is an enjoyable pastime. I have two good friends who can’t drink anymore because they would wake up in strange places and have no idea how they got there.. But this thread isn’t about controlling our drinking anyway and this forum isn’t about being sober.

It is very interesting how much more we seem to appreciate making wine over drinking it.
My wife and I will drink a bottle most days. At first I was jealousy guarding my homemade wines but now I seem to have hit the exponential growth phase of the hobby (24 gallons bulk aging as of yesterday) where I will need to start sharing so I have the space to store it all. We all have our burdens!

1 or 2 bottles per week. Sometimes stretched over a few days, or 1 bottle on a Saturday night after putting the kiddos to bed. Last night watched a movie and polished off a bottle of pinot grigio. Had a good sleep afterwards.

Wife rarely drinks with me.

Latest posts

Back