Quantcast

How much Tannin Riche to add

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

facn1989

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mid-tier kit RJS Malbec Grand Cru 10L 4 Week-Kit and wanted to know how much Tannin Riche or Tannin Riche extra to add to secondary. This is POST-FERMENTATION, so there are finishing tannins, not fermentation tannins.

I've never used this but according to my calculations, to hit 5g/hL to a 6 gallon kit, I'm supposed to add 1.135g of tannin. The sample is so small I can barely measure it correctly, but seems to be about 1/2 tsp.

Can anyone confirm if this sounds right? The portion to be added are way lower than FT Rouge during fermentation.

thanks

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Makes sense. Added pre-fermentation the FT Rouge acts in the roll of sacrificial tannins, so hopefully the tannins present in the original juice are preserved. Post-fermentation, they will bind with O2 over time and drop out, but not at the rate as they do during primary fermentation. If I remember correctly the Tannin Extra Riche adds a vanilla type flavor and is supposed to smooth out the final taste of the wine.

I had a blend I made about 3 years ago, from a juice bucket and some loose grapes. Had 2 oz French M+ in the primary (chips), added 2 g of Tannin Extra Riche six months or so before bottling. Have had many note that the oak was strong in the wine (which I really don't notice), so I wouldn't overdo it, you can always add some more. Wait a few days if you do add them before taste testing.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I added 1g to a an Eclipse Lodi cab but didn’t really notice it at the next racking so I added another; haven’t tasted it yet.

Think I read a post about someone adding 3g and saying it was too much, at least at first. You can always add more but you can’t take it back!

facn1989

Reaction score
yup I ended up adding about 2g and will taste next week to see if there's any effect. It's a mid-tier kit so I just want to give it a bit better mouthfeel so probably won't tweak it any more :)

Latest posts