How much tannin for WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facn1989

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making the WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cabernet, but then read some people aren't really impressed with it. I follow instructions to the T since I have no space to bulk age, so I just bottle after 6 weeks as indicated.

I want to improve this kit as it's expensive and want to make sure I'm happy with the results. It's currently in primary. I've never used tannin but have a sample from Scott Labs for the Tannin Riche Extra. I was planning on using it after primary and after adding all the chemicals (yes, I add everything as indicated).

Wondering if adding for 3 weeks before bottling is OK. If yes, how much should I add? Like a tablespoon for the entire 6 gallon batch? Please note the after primary I will add the oak cubes included in the kit, in case that matters.

Appreciate any and all suggestions! And if leaving this alone is the best option, please let me know.

Thanks!

If you were going to add this and let it sit for 3 or four months, I might add tannin powder, but since you don't plan to bulk age it, I think I would follow directions. Tannins need time to build long chains of molecules and fully integrate into the wine. Only way to do that across all bottles is to bulk age. At least that is my opinion about additions.

If I recall the bare minimum for TRE is 4 weeks, longer is recommended

The website says: "To Use: Dissolve Tannin Riche Extra in about 10 times its weight of warm water (35-40ºC/95-104ºF) then add it to the wine and mix well. Good homogenization is important. Final additions should be made at least 3 weeks prior to bottling. After additions, proceed with normal racking."

3 weeks is a little more than I would wait. Actually I need to take a few weeks break before my next batch so I could bottle at day ~56, giving it like 38-40 days for the tannin to work it's magic.

If I go this route, how much should I add for 6 gallons? there are some forums, but most of it talk about tannin during primary. Would appreciate some help on the measure!

my scale isn't great, but if I go on the low end (0.2g/gallon) I get about half a teaspoon (2.5ml) of tannin. Does that sound about right? I would dissolve that in about an ounce (30ml) of warm water

I believe a gram is roughly 3/4 tsp so you might be a little light. I don’t get too concerned about mixing it up. I usually draw a small sample of wine with a thief and mix and then into the carboy it goes for another good mix.

Thanks, I will add a little more. But considering this is finishing tannin, it should mostly work to enhance smell and mouthfeel, but not really alter too much. Want to avoid mixing in too much as this is a high end kit and should already be rather balanced

Latest posts

Back