How much malolactic bacteria to add

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjie

Junior
Reaction score
I have searched through back posts on malolactic fermentation and I can't find an answer to a simple question. Packets of bacteria come in a size to treat 66 gallons. Once you open the package it does not keep. So my question is, if you are only doing a 6 gallon carboy, do you use the entire package, or 1/11 and throw out the rest. They do not package them for 6 gallons.

White Labs makes a vile of the bacteria for 5-6 gallon batches WLP675. WYeast has a pouch for 5-6 gallons W4007.

They do indeed make bacteria for small batches. Many folks have reported having issues with both of these and end up eventually adding one of the commercial sized MLB's. I believe that both of these have very low tolerance for any SO2 being present in your wine.

Good point Benjie. The entire packet of CH 35 is a little more than a teaspoon. If I were to do 66 Gallons, how do you divide that? By the granuel? While we are on the subject, these granules are freeze dried. Why does the package recommend to store at < 0* F. Is that for long term storage or short term as well? I purchased online and I know that it wasn't below 0* F during shipping.

They do indeed make bacteria for small batches. Many folks have reported having issues with both of these and end up eventually adding one of the commercial sized MLB's. I believe that both of these have very low tolerance for any SO2 being present in your wine.

Yep. Both of those didn't take off for me.

I will cut a very small corner, double/triple to dose for small batches using a scale and a wide mouth 50 ml e-flask. Then, I food saver vacuum seal the package it came in and put it right back in the freezer. I then will keep it for future batches.

I can’t guarantee the viability, but it has worked previously. I did it with Enoferm Alpha.

As best I can figure, the packets of malolactic bacteria labeled for 66 gallons have 1.5 grams total. I am getting ready to use the Viniflora Oenos. Malolactic Culture Viniflora Oenos: 1.5 grams (piwine.com)

1.5 grams divided by 66=0.02 grams per gallon, or 0.11 grams per 5 gallons of wine. I used a scale that reads to the 100ths of a gram (2 places to the right of the decimal point), and made up packets using a food saver which are in the refrigerator to be used soon. The rest is in the freezer.

I dump the packet on to a 1/8 measuring cup and remove a granual at a time to get my amounts.....and hope you don't sneeze!

I asked a serious question whether you can use a whole package of bacteria that would treat 66 gallons in a 6 gallon batch. As a super moderator, is this supposed to be a helpful response? You can bet I won't be posting anything here anymore.

I don't, but cannot hurt to do so.

I’ve always wrestled with that question. I usually spray any utensils but get impatient waiting for them to dry. Wouldn’t want to pour the bacteria in a damp cup so after waiting 15 minutes or so I find myself drying things with a clean tissue.

I’ve always wrestled with that question. I usually spray any utensils but get impatient waiting for them to dry. Wouldn’t want to pour the bacteria in a damp cup so after waiting 15 minutes or so I find myself drying things with a clean tissue.
I just spray things down with my bottle of K Meta solution, wait 15 seconds and then rinse with water and have never had an issue.

Doesn’t the rinsing and wiping negate the spraying?

I spray K Meta to kill any bacteria that may exist and then rinse just so that I am not putting unnecessary K Meta in whatever I am working with. I do not wipe as I cannot be sure that a paper towel doesn’t have bacteria on it. Sometimes when lazy and I don’t want to mix up a K Meta solution, I will just put Everclear in my spray bottle and use it as a sanitizer:)

I spray K Meta to kill any bacteria that may exist and then rinse just so that I am not putting unnecessary K Meta in whatever I am working with. I do not wipe as I cannot be sure that a paper towel doesn’t have bacteria on it.

My point earlier was working with freeze dried malolactic bacteria needs a dry container.

Latest posts

Back