how much kmeta for mycoderma issues?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franc1969

Reaction score
I think I have an infection of mycoderma 'flowers of wine' in one carboy of apple. I could not get to this last night when I saw it, too much going on. I will clean it up as soon as I can in the daylight. I have read to clear off the surface with paper towel, then either rack from below or flood out the top of the carboy. Correct? I think I have about a half inch below the narrow neck, more than I normally have but I got lazy about topping up. So maybe a
My main question is how much kmeta to blast this with. I must be very low, but have no way to test levels. What's the max I can add, then bottle? I don't know offhand how much this carboy has had after ferment, I did wait to dose it when I saw a spontaneous mlf happening after initial racking. Hopefully my carboy tag won't tell me I forgot.

flooding or rack below the infection are both acceptable. double dosage of k-meta is what should be supplied. which would be 1/2 tsp for 5 gallons. if in fact a MLF did occur in the apple wine it should be tasted tested. as malic acid is the predominate acid in apple MLF would remove quite a bit, with the resulting in a flabby wine. this in turn would raise the ph reducing K-meta protection and allowing the flowers of wine to start. I would also do a ph measurement and if required add malic acid to a ph= to 3.2 to 3.5 might do some bench trials to see what level you would like.

Thanks, I will start with that double dose. I planned to check pH. I thought it would be high and then forgot about it. Yes, I assume that is how I have an issue. I should have bottled this already, got distracted by installing sink and tile, making a real winemaking area.

Back