How much grapes do I need?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I am planning to try making from grapes in the fall. I want to try a small batch the first time. About how many pounds of grapes would I need for 6 gallons of juice? I have 5, 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys.

What variety of grapes are you planning on using? There is a large variation on yield by variety. Reds yield more in general because they are fermented on the skins before pressing so that can increase yield. Ranges can go from 12 to 20 pounds per gallon finished wine depending on variety and type of press used. 100 pounds is an accepted average to figure from.

I am not sure if the variety. My wine is all from juice buckets and this would be extra work. But I want to see the difference.

The difference can be substantial. The wine you get from grape in autumn will contain less preservatives and will save more useful substances. Yes, it's more difficult work, but it's worth it. Waste is difficult to calculate, but approximately 200% of the finished wine is obtained. In your case, I would focus on 120 pounds

For reds, 3 lugs gets me 6-7 gallons. Usually enough to provide some loss and/or top up during barrel aging.

Latest posts

Back