How Much Do You Give Away

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell them to buy an equipment kit, and start small, 1 gallon, to shake the jitters off. "My 1 gallon of wine came out less than perfect . . . so, learn.!"
I started that way with 100% bottled juice from the grocery store (no sorbate).

Last edited:
Tell them to buy an equipment kit, and start small, 1 gallon, to shake the jitters off. "My 1 gallon of wine came out less than perfect . . . so, learn.!"
I started that way with 100% bottled juice from the grocery store (no sorbate).
I disagree, a larger batch is more forgiving, of course I’m an “all I or nothing” guy.

I split my wine batches with my cousin so if I get 14 bottles from a batch of 6 gallon wine, I probably drink 4-5, give away 4-5 as birthday/Christmas gifts and the other 4-5 bottles just sit in the wine rack.

I agree that homemade wine is a novelty with my friends, family, and neighbors. I am the only female maker in our suburban area, which is a cool thing for me. People are flat out amazed when I talk about getting grapes, making wine, how long it takes, the aging process, etc. I make lots of different types of wine so my friends get to explore for free and I've turned them onto Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Barbera, N'ero Davola, Carignon, and Syrah from fresh grapes/juice. It blows their minds how good my wines are, too.

I've made 530 gallons over the last 9 years, roughly 2,650 bottles.

We drink a bottle a day at our house most times. I'll take 2-3 over when I go to a friends house for a meal.

My hubby and I give away port at the holidays and we take along cases of it when we travel. Everyone who encounters my coffee port is all about it; people ask how we store "leftover port," and we just laugh. I still have maybe 20 bottles left from 2012-2015 in 375ml bottles, but my adult nephews, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law have asked me if they can buy me a coffee port kit and take all the bottles for themselves.
Heatherd, from one female vintner to another, would you care to share your receipe?.........................................................DizzyIzzy

Heatherd, from one female vintner to another, would you care to share your receipe?.........................................................DizzyIzzy
Receipe for the Coffee Port...............................................................................................................................................................................DozzyIzzy

Receipe for the Coffee Port...............................................................................................................................................................................DozzyIzzy
Sure!

I did a Cru Specialty Coffee dessert wine, which is a three-gallon kit. You have to pre-order them by 8/20 to get in the fall.
Cru Specialty Coffee Dessert Wine (homebrewing.org)

In terms of process:
-I added 4 tablespoons espresso powder to the ferment.
-I used 4 tablespoons heavy toast oak spirals/cubes in ferment
-Topped up with tawny port
-Racked to my bottling bucket, then added 1.5 cups of brandy to fortify
-Bottled into 375ml bottles
These don't benefit from aging that much. so you'll want to use the clarifying agents in the kit.

This is a timely thread. My significant other was complaining about where all the wine will be stored if we don't keep on top of drinking it. If I drink more than a bottle per night I feel bad the next day, and I don't want people to think I am an alcoholic!

I wish there was some legal barter system.
I have bartered, too, and got a gift certificate for a massage that I then gifted to a friend.

Since one one or two other family members drink wine I have ended up giving a lot of my wine away. Couple of months ago I gave 1 of each variety to a friend with one request - I would like you honest feedback on what you think about each wine. I also will give folks who come to work (Repairmen etc) a bottle if the subject comes up and they are interested.
My only issue is too few of my other friends have given me feedback. My tastes are different than many and perhaps some folks are bashfull about giving any negative feedback - Hey how can you improve if folks don't help you?

Anyway I've been making about 12-15 gallons a year, maybe more but that's an average. I personally consume not more than 20-25 bottles a year unless we have company that wishes to indulge. So with a current stock level of about 60 bottles on the shelf. Sow I've probably given away about 250 bottles in 6 years.

I do about 500 or more bottles per year. I have 4 grown children that all come over and get a car or three at regular intervals, plus my wife and my family that live the free wine. We are planning to slow down, but then someone shows up and walks off with basically a carboy full.

I know things sometimes go off tangent on this forum but what does giving multiple cars to your children have to do with wine. Besides, how do you afford it?

I know things sometimes go off tangent on this forum but what does giving multiple cars to your children have to do with wine. Besides, how do you afford it?

Dang fatfingers and horrible proofreading skills on my part.

Carboys, dangnagbit! My kids take a carboy of wine often.

I don't make alot yet but I give away probably close to 60% of what I make. My Pineapple wine was the most popular so far. I've already got friends waiting to try my latest experiment, Strawberry Watermelon. It smells amazing!

I don't make alot yet but I give away probably close to 60% of what I make. My Pineapple wine was the most popular so far. I've already got friends waiting to try my latest experiment, Strawberry Watermelon. It smells amazing!

Try Strawberry Rhubarb, good combo!

Sure!

I did a Cru Specialty Coffee dessert wine, which is a three-gallon kit. You have to pre-order them by 8/20 to get in the fall.
Cru Specialty Coffee Dessert Wine (homebrewing.org)

In terms of process:
-I added 4 tablespoons espresso powder to the ferment.
-I used 4 tablespoons heavy toast oak spirals/cubes in ferment
-Topped up with tawny port
-Racked to my bottling bucket, then added 1.5 cups of brandy to fortify
-Bottled into 375ml bottles
These don't benefit from aging that much. so you'll want to use the clarifying agents in the kit.
I pre-ordered this kit today. Been thinking about doing a port style and thought my wife would like the coffee. I understand that it comes with an f-pack. Did you include that in the primary and ferment to dry?

I find that 3 or 4 years in the bottle smooths them out a bit. They are drinkable quickly, but time is their friend, and yours as well!

I understand that it comes with an f-pack. Did you include that in the primary and ferment to dry?
I didn't and wouldn't add the F-pack to the fermentation. Ports are sweet and the sugar + body balance the higher alcohol. If you take that away you'll alter the balance and may make a harsh wine.

I recommend making the kit as per the instructions, although I like Heather's additions. The one change I'd make to her additions is the oak -- I'd use chips or shreds during fermentation as the finer grain wood has more surface area, so you'll get more from it in the short time of fermentation.

I have 20+ splits of the coffee port left, so I'll not make that one again. However, Heather's given me idea as I want to make a raspberry port. I need to see if my LHBS has one still in stock ....

I pre-ordered this kit today. Been thinking about doing a port style and thought my wife would like the coffee. I understand that it comes with an f-pack. Did you include that in the primary and ferment to dry?
I fermented to dry, stabilized with kmeta and ksorbate, clarified, topped up with tawny port, and when the wine was I ready racked over to a larger container tp add the f-pack and brandy to fortify.

Latest posts

Back