How Much Do You Give Away

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make 400 to 500 bottles a year and in a heavy year might drink 100 bottles of mine and commercial wine so probably 50 to 60 bottles of mine. My 18's are almost gone and might have 120 bottles of the 19's left with the 20's still aging. The rest gets given away. What percentage do you think you drink as opposed to giving away?

I make 350 bottles per year, which is less than a bottle per day. I don't make enough to share! :p

Seriously? It's hard to judge. I haven't counted but I probably go through 150-200 bottles per year, about 30 to 60 of that commercial.

My production varies a lot by year, although in the past 2 years I've produced more wine than I have in decades. Of mine, I probably give away 5%, but a lot is shared at the house so while I'm not physically giving bottles away, a lot is served by the glass.

This is an interesting question.

This is a timely thread. My significant other was complaining about where all the wine will be stored if we don't keep on top of drinking it. If I drink more than a bottle per night I feel bad the next day, and I don't want people to think I am an alcoholic!

I wish there was some legal barter system.

Last edited:
I wish there was some legal barter system.
If you're exchanging bottles, there's very little risk. If you're exchanging wine for anything else? The risk depends on how much the other folks talk. Unlicensed sales (in any fashion) reduces tax revenue, and all governments frown heavily on any reduction of their ability to spend other people's money ...

I make probably 250 bottles a year of fruit wines and drink maybe a dozen. I give the rest away
I am not a big wine drinker but I enjoy the process and challenge of making a good wine. Also my area has a lot of fruit available for free ( apples, rhubarb, blueberries, blackberries, plums etc ) that makes it cost effective

Many people don't have access to homemade wine. It's a novelty item.
A fair number of people get out a cross, holy water, and garlic when I mention homemade wine. They know someone like my friend's Uncle Tony, whose wine terrified the hardiest souls! OTOH, Tony pickled THE BEST hot cherry peppers I've ever had. Those were fantastic if you're into masochism of the mouth (and later, lower intestine).

OTOH ... last weekend I helped a friend diagnose a plugged drain, and took a bottle of my 2019 second run blend for him. Last year he helped me rack the barrel, he LOVED the wine then, and I wanted him to enjoy what he helped me with.

You'd think I gave him a bottle of gold instead of a bottle of wine. He lit up like a Christmas tree when I handed him the bottle.

His son works in an Italian restaurant, whose owner has some odd ideas ("we are out of Montepulciano, give them Cabernet, they won't know the difference"). My friend told his son to talk to me as I know wine better than anyone.

I don't care who you are -- a sincere compliment like that, regardless of how misguided, strokes the ego.

This is not why I make wine, but DANG! The compliments (verbal and physical) feel good.

I do about 500 or more bottles per year. I have 4 grown children that all come over and get a car or three at regular intervals, plus my wife and my family that live the free wine. We are planning to slow down, but then someone shows up and walks off with basically a carboy full.

I agree that homemade wine is a novelty with my friends, family, and neighbors. I am the only female maker in our suburban area, which is a cool thing for me. People are flat out amazed when I talk about getting grapes, making wine, how long it takes, the aging process, etc. I make lots of different types of wine so my friends get to explore for free and I've turned them onto Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Barbera, N'ero Davola, Carignon, and Syrah from fresh grapes/juice. It blows their minds how good my wines are, too.

I've made 530 gallons over the last 9 years, roughly 2,650 bottles.

We drink a bottle a day at our house most times. I'll take 2-3 over when I go to a friends house for a meal.

My hubby and I give away port at the holidays and we take along cases of it when we travel. Everyone who encounters my coffee port is all about it; people ask how we store "leftover port," and we just laugh. I still have maybe 20 bottles left from 2012-2015 in 375ml bottles, but my adult nephews, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law have asked me if they can buy me a coffee port kit and take all the bottles for themselves.

Latest posts

Back