How much concentrate spillage is acceptable?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzybob

Junior
Reaction score
New to this, and I started one 10L kit 2 weeks ago, and a 9L kit tonight. Both times, I ended up spilling some of the concentrate while pouring into the fermentation bucket. Any at all adverse effects to this?! It wasn't a lot :slp, but I thought I'd ask!

Probably mostly on your carpet!!:D

No worries. Just continue to follow the dirctions, you'll be just fine.

It does depend on certain things, was the carpet yours? Are you married and promised your spouse you wouldn't spill?

Did you sign the wine making disclaimer form that came with the kit? I hope so. You may still be liable for the stains.

Have you considered a wider fermentation container?

:tz

:b

troy

Last edited:
Depends on what you call "a little". LOL, dont worry a few oz spilled is no problem. Now, if its 1/2 gal that can be a problem.

Thanks guys! No, it wasn't all that much, and it was on hardwood floors, so cleanup wasn't that bad.
Of course, nothing is easy. My fermentation bucket is drilled for a spigot. I tested it for seal...perfect. Added the juice and water, and a leak sprung. Maybe I bumped it with the spoon while stirring. I had to yell for my wife to get a bucket (which luckily was sanitized, and then I had to stick my semi-sanitized arm into the mix to fix the seal. Hopefully all will turn out well :r

Bob. no spillage is acceptable, But we have all been there. I would suggest getting a new primary without a spigot...an ounce of prevention..you know the rest! Incidentally the best thing about your story for the forum is we're all reading it instead of writing it. LOL Seriously keep us informed on your progress and keep asking. Thats how everyone keeps learning (and from others mistakes). Read some of Troys post's and you'll learn tons of stuff you would of never thought of about the outdoor life!

That's good advise on getting a primary without a spigot. Those seals leak more often than they ought to. BTW, I had my sanitized arm all the way in my first batch when I had to retrieve the airlock grommet that fell in. It happens to a lot of newbies. Rite of passage I guess.

I remember a post last year from Puerto Rico, a guy and his father were making wine together, and one of em dropped their watch in the bucket. He was freaking out about contamination!

Someone ought to starta thread on wine making mishaps, I wonder who will admit their "good" ones.

I remember a post last year from Puerto Rico, a guy and his father were making wine together, and one of em dropped their watch in the bucket. He was freaking out about contamination!

Someone ought to starta thread on wine making mishaps, I wonder who will admit their "good" ones.

I'm sure I'll have many more good ones to post as I go along!

Such as getting ready to bottle after re-racking to my primary, and while moving stuff to make room, dropping the plastic top of my popcorn popper into the wine.:try

Latest posts

Back