How Much Bean to add? (Vanilla Bean) ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
About to start a 2 gallon batch of Peach wine (Second batch this summer - the first in my threat Just Peachy)

Want to add a little additional flavor in the way of vanilla.

?? Per gallon how much of a bean should I use???

I have a nice fat 7" long bean. I can cut and scrap whatever amount is recommended for a noticeable touch of vanilla but not overpowering.

Since this an experiment I don't want to add it to my 3 gallon batch but will make either a 1 or 2 gallon batch in 1 or 2 carboys.

For 2 gal I'd use 1/4 of the bean and I'd watch it like a hawk. You can't undo it and vanilla doesn't fade in my experience. In fact, most times I think I have vanilla dialed in just right 6 months later I wished it had 25% less.

Thanks - Prep instructions I find for the beans call for splitting and scraping. Do you put them in at ferment start or add them during secondary aging as some do with oak chips. Curious as the the most effective way to extract the flavor.

After your guidance on the creeping increase - I'm inclined to use 1/8 bean for 2 gallons OR just use 1/8 bean in 1 gallon and have two gallons making. One with the bean and one without any bean. That would permit me to blend to my liking just before bottling.

Guess I won't know how this turns out until next July.

Back