How much added sugar can one expect from dried fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"also sell a sister wine called Ripasso, AKA "baby amarone" which is a blend of fresh juice and Amarone - much more affordable and not as intense".
This is actually a favorite of mine. https://data.uritalianwines.com/imgprodotto/valpolicella-ripasso-superiore-ripassa-doc_8124.jpg I believe the store where I buy it is between $20-$25.
[/QUOTE]

Just an fyi, if it says "valpolicella", it's a blend of fresh Corvina and/or rodinella, and amarone not 100% amarone. But some people prefer that, especially if your just being introduced

Thanks for the tips!

I currently live in Sweden, where as far as I know laws surrounding food and any additives is quite strict. I don't know what it looks like where you all are from, but here it therefore states quite some nutritional facts on the packaging, among which an estimate of the sugar content.
In regards to the the sulfites and sorbates, I try to buy ecological dried fruits without sulfites as much as possible. The colour isn't always as pretty, but I hope to avoid some of the related fermentation issues by that.
The reason for the above question is twofold;

1. I read somewhere that adding too much pectic enzyme can make that the wine ages too quickly, as I plan on making drief fig wine (with some added raisin for flavour) and a dried appricot wine ( also with some raisins) I figured do would do well having some time to age at a mellow tempo.

2. I would want to exercise some control over the residual sugar as I would like to prevent back sweetening as much as possible. From what I read sugars left over after the fermentation will be much more integrated in the flavour profile than sugars added afterwards. I don't know if this is true yet though :p
To minimize enzymes, try using Lallzyme EX-V, a little goes a very long way, I too have read that PE can cause premature aging, and also seen it refuted. Who knows........

As far as sweetness, it’s much harder to predict when your yeast will give out, how much residual sugar will remain, and if the resulting ABV / sweetness ratio will be in balance. Time and again, you’ll be more successful controlling the starting SG, and therefore, the finished ABV, and then sweetening the finished product using bench trials. I might add, you don’t have to sweeten with sugar, you can use the same dried fruit, or juices, concentrates, etc., there are many options.

In the end, you’re the winemaker, so you get the final say, let us know what you decide and how it works out!!

This is actually a favorite of mine. https://data.uritalianwines.com/imgprodotto/valpolicella-ripasso-superiore-ripassa-doc_8124.jpg I believe the store where I buy it is between $20-$25.

Just an fyi, if it says "valpolicella", it's a blend of fresh Corvina and/or rodinella, and amarone not 100% amarone. But some people prefer that, especially if your just being introduced
[/QUOTE]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to make Rapasso, they use the used grapes from Amerone and "recycle" to mix with other wine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe to make Rapasso, they use the used grapes from Amerone and "recycle" to mix with other wine.

That is my understanding, as well. Which, to be fair, is not so different from what @Ty520 was saying.

First of all, "Valpolicella" is the name of the region. So the full name of the bigger wine is "Amarone della Vlpolicella." The official name of Ripasso is "Ripasso della Valpolicella." They use the same grape varieties, already mentioned above. To make Ripasso, the pomace that is leftover from production of Amarone is mixed with new wine and aged in casks. In fact, the word Ripasso means "repassed."

Edit: The graphic below is from: Value Tiers of Valpolicella Wine from Classico to Amarone

Valpolicella-Amarone-wine-classification-pyramid.jpg

Last edited:
Back