How much Acid Blend should I add to my Peach Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting a peach wine, and following guidance from this forum cameo with a plan/recipe.
I've raised the SG to 1.085 and have a 3 gallon bach of peach mush and simple syrup. The smell of fresh peaches is hard to beat!
The pH is 3.76 and the acid level is between .2 and .3% as best I can figure (my 1st time using an acid test kit). Test kit instructions say that adding 1 tsp of Acid Blend will increase the acid level of a 1 gallon must by .15%. I read that a good target for acid in peach wine is between .5 and .6%. Thanks for your help!
@Scooter68 @pillswoj

Last edited:
I would suggest that you wait until fermentation has ceased. The yeast will work to increase the acidity as will the presence of CO2. What you want to do (in my opinion) is simply ensure that the pH (NOT the TA) is above about 3.2 - and it appears to be. TA will likely rise as fermentation progresses. If by the time you have racked the wine the TA is still not near what you are looking for then you can start to think about adding acidity.

I would suggest that you wait until fermentation has ceased. The yeast will work to increase the acidity as will the presence of CO2. What you want to do (in my opinion) is simply ensure that the pH (NOT the TA) is above about 3.2 - and it appears to be. TA will likely rise as fermentation progresses. If by the time you have racked the wine the TA is still not near what you are looking for then you can start to think about adding acidity.
Thanks for your response @BernardSmith. I didn't realize this about acidity and yeast and CO2. I'll have to tuck that bit of information in the back of my brain somewhere for future reference.
This falls into what I'm learning as a general phylosophy in winemaking--when in doubt, do less or just delay a decision. I've read enough on this site about winemakers who try to do too much to "fix" their wines and then can't undo their mistake.
That being said, I added a little acid blend based on a Jack Keller recipe, so probably won't have to make any adjustment later. :D I've now pitched the yeast with the must temp at 70* so we'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back