How many years supply on hand?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
Interesting thread on volume of storage. Didn’t want to hijack that one but another good question is how many years supply do you currently have (fermenting, bulk aging or bottled) based on average consumption and anticipated gifting?

Figure I’m at about 4 years.

Yeah, about the same. Four years on the shelf, and another four years in storage.
What I don't understand is that I am looking to double my output. Making it is as much a drug as drinking it. [emoji16]

One member has a spreadsheet with matrix of how much you’d need to make to keep your stores at an optimal level.

I’m more of a back-of-the-matchbook guy. If I average about 3 bottles a week, that’s 156 bottles a year. With giving some away, I’d say I need to make 180+ a year to keep supplies up (or 6 6-gallon carboys).

I think there’s about 230 bottles in the rack, with another 325+/- in carboys... total 555 bottles, or an excess of three years.

To keep stores up, I’ll make at least 8 carboys of wine, with 2 or more from fresh grapes and the rest from kits. Thinking about it, in 2018, I made 15 gallons of fresh zin grape wine and another 6-8 kits (36-48 gallons) or as much as 63 gallons of wine... It’s okay though, if it’s not enough I can always make more.

The wine closet has everything from 2015 (granted, not many) to 2018 wines in it.

Back