How many years supply on hand?

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by jsbeckton, May 18, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. May 18, 2019 #1

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

Interesting thread on volume of storage. Didn’t want to hijack that one but another good question is how many years supply do you currently have (fermenting, bulk aging or bottled) based on average consumption and anticipated gifting?

Figure I’m at about 4 years.

2. May 18, 2019 #2

WellingtonToad

WellingtonToad

WellingtonToad

Yeah, about the same. Four years on the shelf, and another four years in storage.
    What I don't understand is that I am looking to double my output. Making it is as much a drug as drinking it.

Chuck E likes this.
  3. May 18, 2019 #3

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

One member has a spreadsheet with matrix of how much you’d need to make to keep your stores at an optimal level.

I’m more of a back-of-the-matchbook guy. If I average about 3 bottles a week, that’s 156 bottles a year. With giving some away, I’d say I need to make 180+ a year to keep supplies up (or 6 6-gallon carboys).

I think there’s about 230 bottles in the rack, with another 325+/- in carboys... total 555 bottles, or an excess of three years.

To keep stores up, I’ll make at least 8 carboys of wine, with 2 or more from fresh grapes and the rest from kits. Thinking about it, in 2018, I made 15 gallons of fresh zin grape wine and another 6-8 kits (36-48 gallons) or as much as 63 gallons of wine... It’s okay though, if it’s not enough I can always make more.

The wine closet has everything from 2015 (granted, not many) to 2018 wines in it.

Chuck E likes this.
  4. May 18, 2019 #4

Sage

Sage

Sage

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Most of my wine seems best starting at 4-5 years. I do 90 percent reds and I'm referring to them. So, at least 5X your annual use.

scottro likes this.