How many times - Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
I have a freezer full of cab sav, merlot, Sangiovese & chambourcin. These have been fermented & pressed once. I plan on using them again. They're all in gallon freezer bags now.

I'm thinking about trying to order 15-25 gallon of cab sav juice & adding these crushed grapes back in during primary fermentation & pressing them again.

Questions. Does this sound ok? Should I re-freeze again after ? Or just pitch them?

It was originally 3 36 lugs of each. So 108 lbs of Sangiovese, cab sav & Merlot. Not sure if the chambourcin should go in with these.

Thanks
Brian

I guess I would wonder how much they have left to give. If they still have a bunch of color and flavor/aroma then it may be worthwhile. If, however, they have been really stripped of color, flavor, and aroma, it probably isn't really worth it. I know there's some supposedly wonderful wine made from Amarone pomace out there, but I'm not sure that it would be the same without the initial drying process. It's not something I would be doing personally, but maybe that's my inner wine snob coming out.

I have a freezer full of cab sav, merlot, Sangiovese & chambourcin. These have been fermented & pressed once. I plan on using them again. They're all in gallon freezer bags now.

I'm thinking about trying to order 15-25 gallon of cab sav juice & adding these crushed grapes back in during primary fermentation & pressing them again.

Questions. Does this sound ok? Should I re-freeze again after ? Or just pitch them?

It was originally 3 36 lugs of each. So 108 lbs of Sangiovese, cab sav & Merlot. Not sure if the chambourcin should go in with these.

Thanks
Brian

Once pressed skins will add to and improve juice buckets and kits by supplying what they don't have, skins with color, body, and tannins, and enough to make a difference. I only use the once after their first pressing.

Back