How many Liters per vine... or... How to count your eggs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
What is a reasonable expectation for number of liters juice per vine ?
I am looking at German white wine varieties, but don't want a lot of plants just yet.
Is a single vine likely to produce a suitable volume of juice for some expirimentation?
How many Liters and which trellis style is common for Riesling?

What is a reasonable expectation for number of liters juice per vine ?

Too many variables involved to answer this directly. Such as planting density. This is why such is more often measured by liters per area, not per vine. Suggest doing some self research:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+liters+of+wine+per+vine

which trellis style is common for Riesling?

In Germany.... depends on where it is grown. For example in the Mosel valley, they use single stakes for each plant --- i.e. no trellis. But, in general, all Vinifera are an vertical growing plant, so you will need a solution that is correct for your area that allows for vertical growth (i.e. top wire would be inappropriate).

Thanks.

n Germany... what about those along the Rhine?

Do you know the name of their method(s)?
I have been looking at the various methods and there are quite a few, at least in the US.

As far as "Suggest doing some self research:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+liters+of+wine+per+vine"

[Answering my own question?] a little research seems to lead to the conclusion:
2~4 L. per plant, but the range can be wide ---
From one glass to 2~8 bottles up to 24 bottles from "heavily irrigated vineyards" after 3 years.

fuzzy but good enough for now

As you consider your experiment it is one thing to compare production based on one thousand vines, and production based on one vine. One vine screams to every raccoon and varmint (deer) within ten miles to come and investigate it's uniqueness.

Latest posts

Back