How Many Lemons ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this thread. I've done it by both quantity and weight of lemons but have settled in on adjusting my Everclear to match my Zest or Peels. If you're lucky enough to have a tree or a neighbor with a tree then the amount of lemons isn't usually the problem, it's how much time you want to spend collecting the thin peels or zest. Once I've finished zesting I'll pour just enough EC to just cover the lemons. The extra EC's not going to go bad before the next batch needs to be made so save it. Funny, I was just talking with a friend from California last night and he mentioned needing some Everclear soon for lemons he still had hanging.
Mike

How many lemons? If you lived in Sorrento, I guess you would just need to calculate surface area of you lemons to figure out if you would need more than one.

View attachment 59262

First time I saw those lemons, I ondered if you lived near a nuclear power plant or maybe a swamp where they dump industrial waste. Those things are bigger than some grapefruit I have purchased as jumbo.

That picture is just one I snagged off Facebook. I live in Tucson, Arizona. A few years ago I ordered a Sorrento lemon tree (Femminello Santa Teresa) through a local nursery. So I am starting to get lemons. Last year I got about 20 but only 7 this year because we had some cold weather last Spring when it was blooming.

I use the zest of about 10 lemons but I use vodka (I don't believe that Everclear is legally purchased in NY).
(
really? no PGA (Everclear) in my state (Arkansas) at 90% of bars and clubs, you could only get beer in cans or plastic glasses, i lived on long island many years ago, it was unbelievable that NYC you could get bottled beer, or draft beer in a real glass, glass, or used to, i aint been in a bar in 29 years now, heck maybe it has calmed down since my hayday, probably, since now kids play computer games all day,,,
Dawg

Well, I am a believer. All these years I've been making Limoncello with 80 proof vodka and it came out fine. I always said I didn't care for the taste using Everclear because my experience was trying somebodies Limoncello made with it.

However, after making the last two batches with 190 proof grain alcohol, ( can't get the Everclear here ) I am a believer.

I have zest sitting in 80 proof vodka for 8 weeks and although it made fine Limoncello the zest still had a lot of yellow. With the 190 proof grain alcohol the zest is white within a couple days and after two week it's white,dried up and crisp. Everything is extracted from it.

So those like me that said never might want to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back