How many gallons can I ferment with one ounce of...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
Potassium Metasulfite?
Potassium Sorbate?
Pectin Enzyme Powder?
Yeast Nutrient? (I know there's many different kinds, but...???)

The packages pretty well tell you the size dose to use but they don't tell you how many doses are in the package. I'd like to buy enough to do maybe 10 gallons over the next year but I have no idea how much to purchase. For example, pectin enzyme calls for 1.5tsp per gallon of juice but how many doses of this size would be in an ounce? Larger quantities are cheaper per ounce but if they ruin before I can use them up then I haven't saved anything.

Thanks again for the help!
Ed

10 gallons isn't much so buy the small package!

If you go on the MoreWine site, it gives the dose of most additives in grams per gallon. It is much easier to think about things this way, and precision scales are cheap on Amazon, or you can use a reloading scale for small quantities.

And I'd decide on the wine first, not the additives first. It looks like you're going about this backwards.

Are we talking real grapes here or concentrates?

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, ten gallons isn't much, but I don't want to order an ounce of something and then halfway through the year have to order a $3 dollar item and pay more than that to get it shipped to me...but I'd rather not have a bunch of stuff get old and have to throw it out. It's like for pectin enzyme, all I can find says to add 1/2tsp per gallon and it says nothing about weight.<sigh> If I knew how much a teaspoon of it weighed I could go from there. Ah well, I'll figure something out. It would be nice if the packages stated how many doses were in them.

I've got some scales that will work for the small amounts.

Well, those are kind of the basic ingredients that I listed...I think. :e The wines will be very basic, too. Thinking of doing some simple Welch's grape juice wine to start with. Maybe some muscadine if I can stumble upon some. This coming summer might try some plum or blackberry, maybe some tomato wine or even watermelon. We're not doing any kits. Mostly fruit wines rather than grape wines (except for the Welch's stuff).

Just bouncing around with it right now... :)

Your sorbate has a short shelf life. After about a year you should pitch it and have new. The others I just keep in a fridge and do not know of a shelf life on them. Do not know if this is true for all ingredients, but that is how I use them. Arne.

Thanks Arne! I'll keep all of that in mind...especially the sorbate information. I threw out a lot of stuff from my old stuff but there were a couple of things that weren't "caked up" or solidified. A small bag of Sparkolloid and Bentonite. They both seem to flow well, but I'm not sure whether they are a type of inert substance (such as a mineral) or whether organic. Pitch it all? It's all been around for seven years or so.

Well, since bentonite is just dirt, think it should be ok. If the sparkolloid isn't caked up bet it is ok too. Just my opinion. Arne.

Back